Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bay-Area MEATOPIA!!!!

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
Apparently there is a meat-eater's festival in NYC called Meatopia!!!!!  The main link is here:  http://meatopia.org/

Also, apparently there is the first ever Meatopia event outside of NYC in Oakland, CA @ Jack London Square.  OK, so the details are still a bit sketchy & hard to find on the web - but here's the info as I know it: 

Meatopia Bay Area:  Fri, Sept 21 - Sun, Sept 23

There is a Meatopia Opening Night Party (Fri, Sept 21, 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM) which includes 2 drinks + All the meat you can eat from our Meatopia chefs! 

The link for the tickets to that is here:  http://eatrealfest2012meatopia-zvents.eventbrite.com/

When I said the details were sketchy, I meant about the other portion of the event, the one held on Sat / Sun.  Can't seem to find any info on that.  Perhaps it is by "invitation only" - I dunno...

Anyway, here is another link w/ some more info:  http://sf.eater.com/archives/2012/05/07/bbq_wire_time_magazine.php

And here is some of the description I copied from 1 of the links: 

BBQ WIRE - Time magazine columnist and meat enthusiast Josh Ozersky will be hosting the first Meatopia event outside New York in conjunction with Eat Real in Oakland in September. It will have three parts: a walk-around tasting event on Friday night, and a two-day barbecue contest that Ozersky hopes will change the face of competition BBQ. Read all about the Bare Bones BBQ Contest in his explanatory blog post from earlier today

Also, I think my GF found some 50% off coupons on something like Living Social or some place like that (I can ask her for the info if anyone is interested). I think she has already gotten us the tickets. 

Also, if / when I find out more info about the other portion of the event, I'll post it.  If anyone else knows anything about this, please post away!! 

ENJOY!!
HH
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    Meatopia in Oakland, you sure it is a bbq event? Lol, j/k. I live in the south bay and would certainly be interested. If you can find anymore details, pass em on!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Here in Michigan, where the economy has taken one of the worst hits in the country for a lot longer than the rest of the country, we can't afford a Meatopia.  Maybe we can swing a hot dog eating contest?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Baysidebob
    Options

I got as far as the $50 per ticket part and I'm in Oakland.  Not to mention minimum $2 per hour parking.  Perhaps I'll go to Costco and get a couple prime cowboy ribeyes that day.  I'm convinced no one, not one person can do better than I.  Ok, Ok it may take me a couple tries but once I get it, it's on my personal menu.  Why would I kick down $50 per person for "master chefs" When I can get the advice of better-than-master-chefs on this forum for free?

No disrespect intended and I'm sure it will be a great event for those that like events.  But the $100 ticket price for Wife and me will put a lot of meat on the BGE.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Yeah, it's farkin expensive!!!  I would never have gotten tix if they weren't offering a 50% off discount at Google offers.  

Not sure how long this offer will still be goin on, but as of right now, anyone interested can go here:  

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    Options
    OK, so it looks like they FINALLY got a decent website put together: 

http://eatrealfest.com/event/Oakland/California/2012

So, apparently, the tickets they are selling for the "Opening Night Party" (link in my Sept 09 post) are for the "Opening Night Party" which is on FRIDAY ONLY.  The party is a one-time thing, and will NOT be going on Sat or Sun. 

However, for those interested in attending but do NOT want to pay the $$ for the Opening Night Party on Fri, there is FREE admission for the events on Sat & Sun - you just pay for whatever food you want to try (the site says that no meal is over $5.00). 

So, my GF already bought us tix to the event on Friday - but hindsight being 20-20, I think we would've been better off to just attend on Sat and/or Sun, and NOT pay for the Opening Night Party.  After looking around on the website, it seems like they have a LOT of different stuff going on - BBQ contest, cooking demos, butchery contest, things to do for the kids, bands... all kinds of stuff!! 

Go here to get details about what is going on (click each of the Green Subject Headings for more details):

http://eatrealfest.com/event/Oakland/California/2012/festival-details

Anyway, I think we may still go Sat and/or Sun - so any of you who might be interested, let me know - it'd be fun to meet some folks face-to-face!!

HTH,
    Rob

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I know...old thread. 

I just bought two tickets to Meatopia in San Antonio - we got VIP tickets.  Sweetness. 

http://www.atpearl.com/calendar/meatopia
    Options
    In San Francisco nudity on the streets is legal. Brings a whole new meaning to meatopia. But it's across the bay so you're probably safe.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm all for less laws telling me what I can and can't do, so you go girl San Fran.

My brother and his GF go the same tickets, and we go a hotel near the Pearl brewery where it's held, so we can get our drink on without worrying about driving.
    Options
    OT... Whatever happened to hillbilly hitech.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Website isn't working, is this another scam?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The OP is old.  Meatopia is on it's 9th year.  There's one in SA...that link is fresh.  I probably should have started a new thread.
    Options

This whole forum is a scam. It just bleeds us dry with lump, meat, and eggcessory recommendations. ;)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I second that.  Brilliant marketing.  All hail ^:)^ Big Green Egg!
    Options
    Ahh hell, Big Green Egg...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN