Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt done early - how long can it sit wrapped in cooler

Options
Erichschwinn
Erichschwinn Posts: 5
edited September 2012 in Pork
Put an 11 lb bone in butt on the egg yesterday at 1 pm - at 6 am temp was 179. Will soon be done - how long can i leave it in cooler wrapped up? Max i have done is 4 hours, but any thoughts on going longer? Happy long weekend!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If you FTC well you can get to 6 hrs with no issues.  That said, don't know when you plan to pull and eat but you can slow the cook down to give you more time.  I have seen very slow temp rises from the mid 180's to the mid 190's so you may be just fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Did 5 hours yesterday in a cooler. Still burnt my hands.

Garnerville, NY
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I started at 8pm but I've been at 170 since at least 630. Slow your cool down a little and all will be fine.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't risk holding it longer than 4 hours in the cooler.  If it is more than 4 hours until eating time, then I would wrap it in foil and put it in the oven on the lowest setting to hold it for a while if that's an option for you.  My oven will go down to 170, which is a safe temp to hold it but won't cook it any further.  

...or just try to slow it down like others have said ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Erichschwinn
    Options
    Thank you all - eat time is around 3. Guessing done by 10 so i am going to put in cooler wrapped and trust it will all work out
  • EddieK76
    Options
    Just had the same issue with my brisket.  One brisket is done already and we aren't planning to eat till 3.  It's definitely fork tender....I guess I'll put it in the cooler for 4-6 hours and then in the oven at 170 assuming I can get it that low....

Put some apple juice in the foil with it?
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    EddieK76 said:
    Just had the same issue with my brisket.  One brisket is done already and we aren't planning to eat till 3.  It's definitely fork tender....I guess I'll put it in the cooler for 4-6 hours and then in the oven at 170 assuming I can get it that low....

Put some apple juice in the foil with it?
    My brisket knowledge is weak :)...but I wouldn't think a little extra moisture would hurt.  I have heard of using beef broth for extra moisture.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I have a Yeti cooler so it's holding abilities are better than most but I wrapped two butts in HD foil and the towels and sat for just over 6 hours once. When I took out was still too hot to pull and I had to let sit on counter for a bit. Plenty of other coolers can hold that long too but part of the answer to your question depends on your cooler. The worse the insulation the shorter the period of time. That said even a mediocre or old cooler can easily get couple hours. I would have felt comfortable in mine going much longer bc I know the meat temp will not be dropping any time soon. The size of the cooler also matters. The more open space the quicker the temp will drop. I use a 50qt for FTC and between the butt and towels I put I on top of it I fill most of the air.
    Boom
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I let a butt rest yesterday in a lunch box cooler for six hours before pulling and IT was 145F. IT was 200F when it went in.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options

I am 8 hours away from our BBQ so I moved the butts to the gasser to hold. I can control the temp down to 170 using the tank valve.

Love this forum and the Search function to find this old post!

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB