Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pecan Pie and Eggs

Options
AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last week, when defrosting the freezer in the basement, I found a pecan pie left-over from Turkey day. My wife made two, we only cooked one....and froze the other one(and kinda forgot about it).

Well, she took it outta the freezah today and after I got done grilling the lamb chops, I popped in the plate setter and put this puppy on for awhile. It's cooling now.....gonna have a slice in a bit.

Comments

• VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Options
    Looks Yummy!   How do you brown the crust edge?  Brush on Olive Oil like on pizza crust?
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    I didn't put anything on the crust...looks like it was just some filling that bubbled up and got on the crust maybe.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    AleBrewer, watch out for the crust bugler while the pie is cooling.  A pie that good looking brings 'em out of the woodwork.;-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Does anyone have a good pecan pie recipe they care to share?  My wife makes one and 90% of the time we get tasty soup.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options

Chocolate Pecan Pie

4 large eggs

½ cup melted butter

¾ cup sugar (white)

¼ cup brown sugar

¾ cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla

(I usually add more vanilla and you can change the vanilla out for a couple tablespoons of quality bourbon for a little kick if you like the taste of it)

3/4 cup chocolate chips

1 and 1/4 cup chopped pecans 

I ready made pie crust ( I use the pilsbury kind )

Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and corn syrup together. Add butter and mix well. 

Place the crust in pan. Pour chocolate chips and pecans in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the sugar/egg mixture over the top. 

Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Thanks dweebsOr!  We have a church dinner coming up and we'll give this a shot.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    Does anyone have a good pecan pie recipe they care to share?  My wife makes one and 90% of the time we get tasty soup.
    I have the same problem, Fred. My brother uses the exact same recipe and his always come out perfect. I have no idea why (or I would correct it).

Tim
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Maybe my problem is Wilma is baking it?  She's got a new job working 3rd shift and starts next week.  Maybe the "Pie Elves" will show up at our place one night when she's at work with a Chocolate Pecan Pie?
    Flint, Michigan