Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need goat leg advice

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm having a cookout this Sat. and a friend has offered to bring over two under-3 lbs. goat thigh roasts. These are organic cuts of meat from a local farmer. They look pretty lean. Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Google recipes for cabrito. Lot of good recipes out there. Mesquite or pecan wood plays well with goat meat
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The goat I have prepared had a very strong flavor. I'm not certain if it was from a mature goat, or a kid, which I understand makes a big difference.

Most goat recipes tend to have very strong flavors. At any rate, if you can get the meat today, and over night marinade would probably help. I've tried mixing goat chunks in both a hot Jamaican curry, and as meat in chili. In both cases, the meat flavor still stood out among the strong spices. Perhaps a lot of mint and lemon juice would work well.
  • JohnB
    Options
    My understanding is that these roasts are from a young goat and don't have the strong flavors associated with the more mature goats. We want to slow roast these whole. What marinades would you suggest and what egg temp and final meat temp are good targets?

thanks!

John
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options

Just look up recipes for leg of lamb.  It is going to be very similar.  Rosemary, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon all good choices.

George

George
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If the meat is from a kid, it should not be very tough. Might not need a long slow roast. Might try doing it like a leg of lamb. 350 dome till the interior is 145. If the meat feels tough before being cooked, and you can see bands of connective tissue, then do go slow roast. Dome 250-ish. Then, just like many lo-n-slo cooks, foil at 165 w. a little extra fluid, and cook to at least 185. Un-foil, and cook till surface is dry.

Because the meat is so lean, I'd marinade it in an oil w. a bit of fresh ground pepper, some rosemary and thyme, and a bit of cayenne. Or make a vinagarette, by adding some red wine vinegar or sherry venegar w. some mustard powder to the oil and herbs. The marinade will tenderize the outside of the meat a little, helping to break down any silver skin, and leave a residue of fat that will help the meat brown a little better.

Good luck, and please follow up. There haven't been a lot of Egg'd goat reports that i know of.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    The way we do Cabrito down here, do a regular brine, then coat it with pork fat and season with salt an pepper. The most important thing about Cabrito is the Salsa. Roast some tomato, jalapeños, onions, garlic and dice them up or into the blender. At the very end add some cilantro. For Extra hot you can add thin slices of habanero.

N`Joy
    Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • JohnB
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to get a look at the roasts tonight. I'll post a follow-up.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    I was just in croatia.   We roasted an entire goat.  It was tasty.  I would suggest not going low and slow since it is lean.  As someone suggested it is very similar to lamb (especially if it is young).

Enjoy.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I usually do goat meat in a pressure cooker. Somehow, cooking outside renders the goat meat hard and chewy.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    If you are doing more than one leg, I'd mix it up. Try a curry based rub or marinade on one. Goat curry is amazing...may be my favorite all-time food. Good luck with them. Sounds tasty!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • JohnB
    Options
    I think I'm going to marinate it in wine and lime juice. My friend brought over some rub from Trader Joe's. One roast will get that and the other will get the curry treatment. Thanks!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Tivo, we wrapped cabrito in either bacon fat or salt pork, but that was back when salt pork was 10 cents a pound. The closer to the boarder we used mesquite, north of Kingsville mesquite got mixed pecan. There is nothing better than spit cooked cabrito...yum Mature goat was always treated like wild game meat, a long soaking in buttermilk before cooking.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    AE:
    Dude, you really know your Cabrito, Buttermilk is my Aunts secret weapon!!!!
    Please don't tell anyone!
    :-$
    Men, easier fed than understood!!