Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 Bone Beef Roast

Options
miscjames
miscjames Posts: 78
edited August 2012 in Beef
So I was in IGA the other day and I seen what is call a 7 Bone Roast. I for one do not have any experience with this cut. according to Wiki: 

"The 7-bone roast or 7-bone steak is from the chuck section of the steer or heifer and it includes a cross cut of the shoulder blade. The bone is shaped like a "7", which gives the steak its name. The steak differs from the 7-Bone Roast only in thickness. 7-Bone steaks are cut 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick. This cut is also known as "center cut pot roast".

Like most of the chuck, the 7-Bone roast or "steak" is generally considered a rather tough cut of meat and is most suitable for a long cooking in liquid at a low heat such as braising."

It was such a beautiful cut of meat and had some nice marbling in it that I had to try it. So I picked up a smaller one 3.5lbs (10$). 

Prep: 

I coated it with olive oil and then rubbed in Costco steak seasoning. I got the tip somewhere that if you use oil instead of a vinegar it causes the spices to open up and be absorbed by the meat. Instead of just siting on the surface. And it does.  And I let that sit on the counter while getting my egg ready. 

Cook:
I set the egg for indirect with a drip pan (I have the BGE round drip pan) underneath about half full of water. I ran it about 210 until the meat hit 150. Then i wrapped in foil and pored a little water into the drippings to get moving (I stirred them) then poured the water /drippings into the foil. (I read somewhere that this piece likes to dry out, But it sure didn't seem like it to me). And i cooked for about 2 more hours and it hit 150.  I didnt want to let it go much longer as the bones were already pulled away and it was starting to shred nicely. So I pulled it and let it rest for an hour or so. Then I shredded it. I did it with my hands it was so tender.

The eat:
I was blown away at how good this was. It had a few different textures in to it which made it nice, not over powering or chewy. This was something I will defiantly do again.

Comments