Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carwash Mike's 2 hour rule for prep

Options
Deluca
Deluca Posts: 148
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know why Carwash Mike said Not to keep the ribs in the fridge for more than 2 hours after the prep?

Thank You

Corey

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    well...  i can't speak for Mikey. and wish he was here to speak for himself.

i'll say that there is a common 'rule' that leaving rub too long on the meat (pulled pork, ribs, etc.) can make it taste hammy or begin to cure it.

in reality, that's really not possible, but it sounds reasonable, and so the myth lingers.

in truth, your smoke ring IS ham.  it IS cured, because of the way the nitric acid formed from the smoke actually changes the meat. but even the best smoke ring is only a surfacelayer.

even if your salt and rub somehow effected a cure in the time between your rubbing it and putting it on the smoker, i'm not sure how you could tell the difference between it and the smoke ring itself.

personal experience: i rub the meat when it is convenient for me.  some times that's a day before, even a couple.  once screwed up and couldn't cook my ribs, and they went a week in the rub.

no difference (good or bad).

even if the rub sucks out water from the ribs, they'll be fine.  you can't truly dry out meat using a small amount of salt (as in a rub).  and in fact, sugar draws more out than salt does. but no one ever warns a you about that.  good reason, neither will dry it out to any real degree
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Thanks for the response... The ribs are going to be in the fridge for 3 to 4 hours. We will see how it goes!
    I used to put em in over night but I never used mustard.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    nothing to worry about overnight except anything acidic (marinades).  they will sorta 'par cook' the surface and turn it mushy. actually, they denature the proteins.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante