Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally got my table...with pics

Golfanatic
Golfanatic Posts: 33
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I have been new to egging and this forum but have taken the read more post less method. I received a LBGE for Fathers Day this year. I couldn't decide what kind of table I liked or if I wanted to try and build one myself. I read many many threads on here and analyzed too many photos of all of your beautiful tables. I have to admit I am very happy with my decision. I purchased my table from Kenneth Crisler at www.choiceofga.com I read through all of the antics from his brother's situation and still wanted to pursue this style of table. I do feel bad for those of you that got swindled but Kenneth was a true class act. He had great communication through email and worked with me every step of the way. I picked up from his shop and was able to cut out the shipping costs and didn't even have to pay a dime until I picked up and inspected his work...which was immaculate. Again I couldn't be happier and would be a reference for Kenneth for anyone who is interested in his tables. Thanks Ken and good luck with your business. [IMG]http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk239/darinkoff1/da7b5f9c.jpg[/IMG] Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    My only question to the group is now that I have stain on it should I now use a varnish of some kind or is it ok out in the sun with only stain?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Not sure. My table is natural cedar. No stain and no varnish. I did that mostly because I'm lazy but its worked so far. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's probably new farmed cypress which isn't as rot resistant as the old growth swamp cypress you see on houses in New Orleans.  I'd put three coats of Helmsman spar polyurethane on it, it'll keep the water and UV from making it look crappy.  And get a cover.  It'll last if you don't, but it'll look like hell. At the very minimum, I'd brush on some deck paint, Thompsons water seal or something.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I like the 3 coats of spar option.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ..and if you want the best, real Marine spar paint from a marine supply store - expect to spend $100+ for a gallon, versus $40 for the Helmsman.   I have epoxy on my top and 3 coats of Helmsman on everything.  I'll get wet now and then, but I keep covered when not using.  Should last for years.  If I just had it out in direct sun and rain, I'd expect it to start looking bad after a year or two (maybe not the top because the epoxy).

Here's mine (sorry, used giant pictures, slow page load)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140407/my-home-made-egg-table-pecky-cypress/p1