Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making/freezing pizza dough

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been seeing the posts on pizza dough recipes and decided to order tipo 00 flour. I got the flour last week. My question is can you freeze leftover dough, and if so, is it as good as fresh? I am thinking about making some to freeze for future use. Can the dough be made in a bread maker with good results?
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Most reports say that you can freeze without any negative results. My recipe just makes enough for one crust, so I can't tell you from personal experience, even thought that is the flour that I use.
  • We freeze ours just find for about a month in ziplock freezer bags. Freeze the dough ball alone first to prevent sticking then remove from ziploc when ready for use & just defrost in a deep bowl coated with olive oil, cover with plastic and go into a rise from there. We take it out in the morning and then it's ready by dinner.
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    thanks for the tip on freezing out of bag first!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023

We freeze ours just find for about a month in ziplock freezer bags. Freeze the dough ball alone first to prevent sticking then remove from ziploc when ready for use & just defrost in a deep bowl coated with olive oil, cover with plastic and go into a rise from there. We take it out in the morning and then it's ready by dinner.
    BeecaveKitchen Neat tip. Thanks. I always oiled the dough well before the freezer bag. But I will try you method next time.
    krobertsmsn  I usually double the recipe and freeze what we don't need after the dough has risen. It takes very little time to defrost, and doesn't impact flavor by much.