Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of lump. Going shopping this afternoon, any brand suggestions?

2»

Comments

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I love Humphreys if you can find it.  It's made right here in PA, so it's pretty readily available to me.  You can order it and have it shipped, but tacking on the S&H makes it not worthwhile perhaps. My local True Value carries it.  If you have one, give em a call and ask.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i've never had airflow issues with chips on a ;low and slow cook honestly.  if you look at the tiny opening in the lower vent, that's ALL the free, open area (of free flowing air) that you need.  even with chips and chunks in the lump, you'll get plenty of airflow. it's really a concern only if they block the holes in the fire grate
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Starting out with chip sized lump makes it tough to reuse the now- smaller bits on the subsequent cook. Resident contrarians excepted I think we all agree that uniformity in lump size is preferred.
    stike said:

i've never had airflow issues with chips on a ;low and slow cook honestly.  if you look at the tiny opening in the lower vent, that's ALL the free, open area (of free flowing air) that you need.  even with chips and chunks in the lump, you'll get plenty of airflow. it's really a concern only if they block the holes in the fire grate