Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carriage Bolts for 4x4 in Table Xl size cooker

Options
2»

Comments

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The other option I have to to purchase S4S Maple 1 x 4 for a really sharp mixed wood look but I'm not sure about using Maple outside even when it treated right.

Cypress is not aviabale in Canada. IPE does not come in the board sizes I want.

Teak would have been the best o
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    ...Teak would have been the best option but it's expensive as hell.

I think a grey stained cedar Maple mix would look awsome but treating the maple to hold up to a Canadian winter may not be realistic.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Not the best choice, but if you're willing to encapsulate the wood on all sides with spar varnish before you assemble, it should be ok.  I love maple, used spalted for the top on my desk. Put a finish and a cover over it and take care of it (refinish if the finish is failing) and I think you could use just about any wood and expect it to last longer than unfinished cypress, cedar or redwood exposed to the elements. 

Not the best choice, but if you're willing to encapsulate the wood on all sides with spar varnish before you assemble, it should be ok.  I love maple, used spalted for the top on my desk. Put a finish and a cover over it and take care of it (refinish if the finish is failing) and I think you could use just about any wood and expect it to last longer than unfinished cypress, cedar or redwood exposed to the elements. 
    </

I will probably stick with cutting down the cedar. Teak prices have gone up a lot over the years which is too bad. Right now, I don't own a table saw so I may have to rent one for the job. I'm doubtful the rental will come with any but a rip blade.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like your idea of contrasting wood. 

This my desk, near the end of construction.   Cypress and heart pine base, spaulted maple flooring top with some exotic inlay.  Made it years ago.

I like your idea of contrasting wood. 

This my desk, near the end of construction.   Cypress and heart pine base, spaulted maple flooring top with some exotic inlay.  Made it years ago.

I wish I had your talents. I'm a bit more of a learn as you novice. I'll to keep honing my woodworking skills. The Kreg Jig provides someone at my skill level a chance to make something that looks halfway decent.

The good news is I found a lumber yard with 1x4 cedar 8 foots that are S2S. The sides will not be vissible with the exception of the center. Can't avoid sanding work.

What I may do for a more modern look is mix have one can of grey stain tinted 10% darker for the finishing boards. This might add some more character to the wood.

Trying to decide on a material for the drawer glides for an outdoor project may be hard. I may need to bite the bullet on some teak slides since not many other outdoor woods come in the right size for slides aside from poplar.

Stainless steel slides are very pricey and the ball berring systems can freeze up in - 15 F Canadian winters. Wood slides make more sense since low temp waxes and oils can be found.