Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Booshway
Booshway Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in Beef
Well. I did my first brisket today.  Camera battery was dead so no pics.  Used the recipes found on here with a few exceptions.  Brought the egg up to 300. Had a 6.5 lb choice flat.  Spattered it with mustard and sprinkled on black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder and a little Old Bay seasoning.  Dashed on some tabasco.  Lined a large aluminum pan in foil and pour in 12 oz bottle of Old Hen beer and a diced up vadalia onion and added a little Colgin Teriyaki Pineapple marinade.  Brought the internal to 205 (6 HRS) and pulled it. Juiciest, best brisket I have ever had.  Thanks guys, with your help this is quickly ruining me.  I am becoming a real EggHead!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start.  Flats can be really tricky because they are so lean compared to the point.

Find a choice whole packer brisket and give it a whirl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

@ Booshway-Congrats on the brisket flat home-run.  That's about the trickiest one to get right due to the narrow window of finish time.  By your cook description did you have the brisket in the pan or suspended above? 

BTW-WRT your eariler ?- spent my time in the submarine service. Fun then, too old now!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Booshway
    Booshway Posts: 10
    Options
    Put the brisket in the pan.  Sliced it up and put the slices back in the juice.  My good friend and his wife came over and really loved it.  And he has smoked hundreds of briskets in his big black smoker.  I wanted a good judge of the first brisket.  It was juicy and extremely tender!  I didn't mention the sprinkle of brown sugar before it went into the egg.