Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Space between egg and table top

Options
grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I just got done building my table for my large egg. According to the BGE website plans I cut my hole 21". I have about 1/4" clearance between the egg and wood all the way around. Is this enough clearance?
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Depends how well centered you keep the egg. Next time you do a clean burn or some hot pizza and you see smoke you may have to adjust. And it's lovely to try to move a red hot egg even half an inch, don't ask me how I know all this :)
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I cut mine to 21 inches exactly, and had the same concerns. I took my orbital sander around the hole a few times to take a little more off and got it closer to 1/2" gap all the way around. It also smoothed out the top edge, which was a plus. Hope this helps.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for the info
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • ETBee
    ETBee Posts: 46
    Options
    You could put a concrete paver (or a second one if you already have one) under the egg.  That would raise it a couple of inches and due to the tapered shape of the egg, give you a little more clearance in the table opening.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    I called BGE and they informed me that I have plenty of clearance between my egg and table. Now if UPS would just get here wih my clinch studs since I broke one while assembling my egg I can finally use my egg.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    sorry ahead of time for the rushed pic 

for the large I cut the holes on all the tables i make at 22 inches 
    I had the same problem as misu with one table top the was smoldering because we were doing pizzas for five hours at 700 welding gloves come in handy 

picture is a L with 22 inch hole

if you have any hesitation just add another brick 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    That is the size of the hole I made in my table. Since mine is a cheapie, pine lumber, and painted, I only once noticed a bubble in the paint in one spot while cooking a pizza. Never has occurred again. I put my feet between my Egg and fire brick base which raised it a bit and gave me about 1/2" all the way around.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If your wood top around the inside of the hole is smoldering (presumably because you're doing pizza at 700 plus degrees), you can run a fan aimed at the bottom of the egg, or coat the inside of the hole with epoxy.  My top is epoxied and, while it gets hotter than hell, no smoldering or discoloration.  The bottom shelf isn't covered, and while it probably gets even hotter, I did get some discoloration in the finish.  I've since put a thicker brick under the BGE, and used the little green feet between the brick and egg.
    Options
     the table that was smoldering was built 10 years ago out of raw pine ... it can happen i wish i had to pics for you
    Hermosa Beach CA