Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ for sugar-free gluten-free diet

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited July 2012 in Pork
I'm thinking of doing ribs for some my parents who are on sugar-free & gluten-free diets.  My usual method would involve a rub with brown sugar and a honey BBQ sauce...so that's not going to work.  I did a bit of searching, and there are sugar-free dry rub recipes out there, i.e.

1 tsp black pepper 1 tbs granulated garlic 1 tbs onion powder 1 tbs chili powder 1 tbs celery seed 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1 1/2 tbs paprika 1 tsp dry mustard salt or no salt to taste
Seems like it might work...I might skip the dry mustard and use wet mustard before applying the dry rub...assuming yellow mustard is sugarless.

They'll eat agave...and I found this recipe for agave bbq sauce:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 cup Xagave
  • 1/2 tbsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tbsp. French’s mustard
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
Steps:
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a sauce pan and bring to a boil, immediately reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 45 minutes until thick. Stores well in the refrigerator for weeks.

Anyone done something similar or have other suggestions?  (I know...just do salt&pepper rub steaks :)

Comments

• Star-Seeker
    Options
    I too, cook for friends on a no sugar, no glutens diet. This is going to sound distasteful to many BBQ experts but try this and you may be surprised as I was.  Use No seasonings.  All I do is wrap the ribs tightly in tin foil, no salt, no pepper, no rub, nothing. Then I cook them on the egg at 275-300 degrees for an hour standing on their sides in a rib rack. After the hour is up I turn them so the side that was down towards the fire is now up and cook for another hour. After this second hour is up I unwrap the ribs and continue to cook them for about another hour flat on the grid at the same temp, turning them occasionally.  Then I serve with several sauces on the side so people can choose for themselves.  Here is the surprising part, the meat has such a good flavor that most don't add any sauce at all! Now this how I cook all my ribs even there are no diet restrictions.