Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wanted to say hello

chuff
chuff Posts: 255
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
After thinking it to death and dragging my feet for years I finally picked up my first BGE last friday. I spent over two hours in the store trying to decide between the large and the XL. I finally decided that I've never had any cooker that I wished were smaller, so I decided to suck it up and go with the XL. They had to order my platesetter, so I won't have that for a few more days unfortunately. I'm planning to build a table, so I decided not to spend the $200 on the nest. Currently I'm cooking on the ground which is a little rough at 6'4". Hopefully I'll be able to get started on a table this weekend.

I've been cruising the forum for a while now, so I just wanted to say hello now that I've finally added an egg to the patio.
XL BGE

Comments

• HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    Welcome to the forum

• HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    If you can you should check out an eggfest, this one is coming up if it's within driving distance for you

http://www.winecountryeggs.com/home.html

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Welcome! And great choice on the XL
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    Welcome, and if I can give you a bit of advice from my personal experience. Research the adjustable rig/woo 2 combo. You can get the pizza stone with it and you really can return that plate setter as you will use the rig for low and slow indirect cooks. If I had known this, I would not have a plate setter. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me I am wrong or that you should still keep the plate setter, but this is just what I found from my experience.

You may not know what it is now, or why you need it, but you will find out soon enough. You will have to trust me.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Welcome!

You will find a great bunch of very helpful people here.  It will help you jump start your cooking experiences (as i have found, because i am new too) and take the "EGG THING" to a whole new level.  The advise from the people here will drastically cut down on your "fails".  I have yet to have anything off that big green egg that has not been outstanding!  Also, you will not be dissapointed in getting the XL.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• chuff
    edited July 2012
    <div>Thanks for all the welcomes, all! I'd love to get to an eggiest, but the one mentioned is a little out of my range. I'm in Las Vegas.</div><div>
    </div>I'm definitely planning to pick up a woo2, adjustable rig, and a few other goodies! I just need to let my wallet recover first and then get a table built.
    XL BGE
  • jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    Welcome to the world of Egging!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Welcome to the cult-be careful of the Kool-Aid.  Ask away as there are many who have probably dealt with your concerns before and are very willing to help.  Now, wallet recovery can be problematic :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Welcome, and congrats for going all the way to an XL.

All the Eggs are wonderful instruments. If you can restrain yourself, just do some mess around cooks for awhile. Nothing fancy. Chicken parts, burgers, brats, small steaks. Do it just to get the hang of temperature control. Once you know the vent settings for a 250F dome, or how long it takes to get to 700+, and what its like to move food around over roaring lump, many cooks will become dead simple.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Helloooo and welcome!  Plan on putting on a few pounds because the egg does something magical when it cooks....
    Welcome! I just got mine today and can't wait to get going. Unfortunately, it's been thundering and lighting like crazy since delivery. Coincidence?? :-)
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I have experimented with my Large BGE for a couple of years.  When I do my pizza nights I have been using 4 Fire Bricks 2" x 4" x 8" to even out the intense heat when you go to 500 to 600 degrees.  The plate setter is too thin to give a good, hot, even heated surface.  The bricks have made a remarkable difference.  I paid $7.00 for the four bricks which are rated at 3000 degrees.  My plate setter cost $30.00 and my pizza stone was $20.00.  Saving cash is always good.  That leaves me more money for lump.  I put a Nomex gasket on my Egg last year and it is awesome.  I have done a few 600 degree cooks with no problem.  I do my pizza at 500 or a wee bit under.  My dough is made with "00" flour and the pies come out great.  Nothing on the planet like the Egg!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Thanks for the tip Sam. Pizza looks great
  • chuff
    Welcome! I just got mine today and can't wait to get going. Unfortunately, it's been thundering and lighting like crazy since delivery. Coincidence?? :-)
    That's funny. It rained on me the whole time I was putting mine together - and I'm in Vegas! In fact I even had to take an hour off in the middle to let a thunderstorm and a hard rain pass.
    XL BGE
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks for all the welcomes, all! I'd love to get to an eggiest, but the one mentioned is a little out of my range. I'm in Las Vegas.

I'm definitely planning to pick up a woo2, adjustable rig, and a few other goodies! I just need to let my wallet recover first and then get a table built.
    @Chuff you will often times find differing opinions on set up, temp, etc.  Just experiment and find the system that works best for you.  The differing opinions bring the folks using them the results that they are looking for.  Other than letting the bad smoke turn into good smoke, we debate just about everything.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Welcome Chuff. Enjoy the journey! Agree with MichiganJason with the versatility of Woo2/adj rig combo with stone. Would not say there would be no use for platsetter with that setup but it's use would likely be marginal and never an exclusive need. Perhaps a spider/stone is a stopgap until the wallet recovers from the XL shock? Good luck!
  • chuff
    Just got the call from the dealer that my plate setter came in. Looks like pork shoulder is on the menu this weekend!
    XL BGE
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Good luck. Take some pics of the shoulder and post on here.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)