Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disposing of ash

lensegg
lensegg Posts: 35
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone.  I'm kinda new at this (got my LBGE 6 days ago and LOVING IT).  You guys (and gals) are awesome in the help you give no matter the topic.  I think I bought the egg primarily because of this forum.  Forgive my newbie question but can the ash be disposed of in my garden or should I just throw it out with the garbage?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I am no expert, but I think dispising in your garden can change soil acidity. I dispose of mine in trash.
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    edited July 2012
    I know some put ash in their garden or compost. Ash is alkaline so you are really only supposed to use it if your soil is acidic. And even then not around acid loving plants. I don't know what my soil ph is so I don't use it in my garden yet. But being a new egghead I haven't really produced that much ash yet. Another egg benefit. :)
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186

if you are back east or midwest I'd say put it in the garden.Out here in Colorado..no!

I have an ash can I put it in to make sure the coals are completely out before putting them out for the trash pick up.

• 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    I think the ashes being cold goes without saying Don't most clean the ashes out of the bottom of their egg before a cook? I was addressing whether or not the ashes are actually beneficial to your garden. But your point is definitely valid.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

As other said, it will change the pH of you soil.

I think you should take the ash and make home-made soap. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• misu
    misu Posts: 213

I think you should take the ash and make home-made soap. ;)

love the idea
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Maybe thats whats in those mud packs that the wemenz put on their face.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I wait till mines cool, than clean it out with the shop vac, after i hand scoop out whatever coals are left. Do this pretty much after every cook. Make sure you knock out the filter once in a while because the fine ash clogs it up pretty good! But I've never had a problem getting super high temps, and don't disassemble it that often. I found by shop-vac'ing it, and putting it on each of the air holes it cleans itself out pretty good. when the shop vac's full, well not full, but getting there, i take a hd garbage bag, wrap it around the whole thing and invert, than straight in the garbage.