Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken ?

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited July 2012 in Poultry
I am planning on making my second spatchcock chicken tocniht.  I have the chicken sitting in the fridge so I can get the skin a little crispier. 

Question is when do I put the rub on and how?  Should I apply the rub right before the cook of a few hours earlier?  Also should I try and get it under the skin instead of just on it?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    With the rub it depends on how much rub flavor you want-put it on under the skin for much more flavor.  Timing, I haven't found any difference in "early" vs right before I put them on the BGE.  Experiment as you go-enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Make sure to pull the chicken out of the fridge at least an hour before you plan to grill it. Let it warm towards room temp. I rum mine at least an hour or 2 before hand and sometimes as much as 6 hours before. Depends on how much salt I use in the rub. To get it crispy, I also rub the bird with a little butter or oil.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)