Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Olympics Themed Grill

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited July 2012 in Cookbook
All,

I am planning on throwing a big shindig for the opening ceremonies to the Olympics (We'll put meat on heat for anything...). Whenever we have a party around an event, we usually theme the food around the event. Anyone have ideas for British, or Olympic themed food that actually tastes good?

USA, USA, USA!!!
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited July 2012
    Since I'm really familiar with any good tasting British food, I'll stick with the theme...

Olympic onion rings
    Stuffed pepper torches (use bright colored ones, and wrap only the bottom 1/3 in bacon)
    Diving board salmon
    Javelin skewers of chicken
    Rowing shells of pasta w/cheese

Cocktails from the uneven bar
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    London Broil
    Something baked with Gold Medal flour
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Just fix enough food to feed Phelps.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Shedfarm - Sounds like you already had some ideas in mind.

TJ - I've never had London Broil. Is it tasty?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Haven't done a London Broil on the Egg yet (on my gt3 list - got to try that).  Always a favorite on the gasser.  I used a top round roast about 2 inches thick - some stores sell this as London Broil, however it's not really the cut of meat the name comes from, but rather the technique of cooking, which to make it more confusing varies greatly.  Originally it was Flank steak used for London Broil.

I marinate the steak/roast in a mixture of 1 cup oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce. 3 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp garlic powder. Marinate for 4 - 6 hours.  Cook direct at 400 - 450 until medium rare and let rest.  The sugar in the honey gives it a nice bark - don't worry if the outside looks burned as long as internal temp is ok.  Slice thin against the grain.