Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Combinations

Options
blaccjack
blaccjack Posts: 37
edited July 2012 in Forum List
I grew up with Hickory only. I now know there is a whole world out there I've yet to explore. I'm going to start playing around with different chips. I have Hickory of course. Along with Cherry and Apple.

What are your favorite chips or wood? What do you use it on? I've seen some Avocado wood. Anyone tried it? 

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i like hickory my wife and kids tend to like the fruit woods and maple sugar . and i tend to mix the woods together no set wood for any one thing just use what sounds good at the moment 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • blaccjack
    blaccjack Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm assuming the fruit woods leaves a hint of sweetness. I'm getting my egg today so I'm getting all excited. Even getting a custom handle for it. 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Some woods, like Cherry, also contribute to a nicer color on the finished food.  I've played around with several kinds, and Pecan seems to be my favorite. I only use chunks, except the Jack Daniels wood chips because I had to give them a try.  I definitely prefer chunks.

For fish I've used alder and cedar planks, and both are great.  I like the smell of alder better while it's on the grill, but can't tell a huge difference in the finished product.