Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerked Pork Shoulder

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a pork picnic shoulder using the Boston Bay Jerked Pork recipe from the book Smoke & Spice yesterday. 

It has been a while since I cooked a picnic shoulder instead of a pork butt.   I had some temp spikes as you can see.  The first rise was from the opening the Egg to mop.  I don't think I've mopped anything since buying my Egg years ago but the recipe called for it.  The second spike was intentional.  After 90 minutes at 177f internal, I bumped the cooking temp instead of foiling.

I pulled it off at 197f, foiled it and let it rest for two hours.

The results were great.  Flavorful dark bark, nice smoke ring, and juicy pork.

For the sandwiches, I made a grilled pineapple salsa and drizzle it all with a finishing sauce (BBQ sauce spiked with pineapple juice 4:1 ratio).

It was my best pork shoulder of the year.  The jerk flavors were a nice change up from the traditional pulled pork and the Trinidad scorpion chile I used in it really brought some heat.  I also liked using the picnic shoulder for a change. 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments