Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another new egger- brisket and turkey

Options
booksw
booksw Posts: 470
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
We bought our BGE memorial day weekend and I have been cooking on it about 3-5 times a week since.  I absolutely love it.  I have always cooked on charcoal and went through several webers and a large brinkman and they all get replaced due to rust.  Also, they don't hold their heat too well.  

I started reading this forum early May and tried to register but for some reason there was a big delay before they would finally call me "member".   One of the best things I have done on the egg was a texas style brisket- thanks to all the tricks I have learned on this forum.  It didn't turn out the best of any of the food I have made (IMO) but it was definitely the best experience.  My daughter graduated from 8th grade on June 3.  We put the meat on the egg at 10:30 PM Jun 2 and stayed up next to the egg just talking and tweaking the temp- that time together was priceless. There is something about smoke and meat cooking... I went to sleep at about 1AM and she stayed up till about 2:30 and I got up at about 6.  We hung around the house and took the meat off the grill at 195 degrees at about 3 PM, wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler and went to her graduation ceremony at 4.  We had friends over at 7 for the feast and everyone loved that brisket (I thought it was dry but very tasty).  It was a flat because I couldn't find a packer in Charleston SC. This past weekend I found a place that sells them (Teds Butcher Block) and I am going to try it again a few weekends from now when my daughter comes home from summer camp.  We'll have the same friends over- they love being our brisket guinea pigs!! 

I am taking the day off from work today and am planning on cooking a beer can turkey starting around 3.  It has been brining since Sunday. 
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs