Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted chicken parts - one cook, two dinners.

Options
Elde
Elde Posts: 148
edited June 2012 in Poultry
Last night I roasted a bunch of chicken parts;

1.  Brine two cut up chicken (six quarts water, 1 1/2 cups each table salt and sugar) for half an hour, then drain and pat dry.
2.  Rig the Egg (a large in my case) for indirect (plate setter legs up) with a 13x9 drip pan and stabilize at 325-350 dome.
3.  I put the breasts down the middle (since they're done at a lower temp) and arranged the legs and thighs around them and roasted until done.  (About an hour in my case.)

After a 15 minute rest, I served the chicken with salad and corn on the cob roasted in aluminum foil on my gasser.  BGE charcoal alone was enough to give the chicken a wonderful lightly smoked flavor.

Tonight, I'm slicing up the leftovers and serving them gently warmed on a bun with a chipotle mayonnaise sauce;

1 1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
2 chipotles from a can of chipotles in adobo
1/2 tsp each powdered ancho and sweet paprika (should have used smoked)
1/4 tsp each cayenne and fresh ground black pepper

All put in the food processor and pulsed until the chipotles were well chopped and everything well mixed in.  (You may have to scrape down the work bowl a couple of times.)  Refrigerate at least four hours to allow the flavors to mellow and blend.

The sauce, like the chicken is deliberately on the mild side.  It's easy to cook over the top, but I find it fun to work more subtle sometimes.

The sandwiches will be served with salad and some baked beans.