Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watch Out for this Thermometer Issue on a Small BGE

Options
tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm cooking two beer butt chickens this morning. I inverted the plate setter and put the chickens directy on top so that there would be room in the lid for the chickens.

As they were cooking, I noticed that the thermometer was staying around 180 degrees. It barely moved, no matter how far I opened the vents. The chicken temp, in the meantime was rising quickly and steadily.

Then I had a revelation...The temp probe was touching the chicken. I removed the top cap and shined a flashlight into the egg to see the probe pressed into one of the chickens. I opened the lid and turned the grill slightly and closed it back up. Sure enough, the therrmometer shot up to 400 degrees. 

I closed the vents down and all is well once again.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful note. I had that happen, the first time I cooked a chicken on my small.

I pulled the clips off of all of my BGE dome thermometers, for two reasons. The first, is that it helps to ensure it doesn't get accidentally adjusted out of calibration, because it's now able to spin freely in the hole. The second, is it makes it easier to notice that I'm bumping the probe up against the contents when I close the lid, because I can see the thermometer move up, as I lower it.

Some people like to rotate the dial, so their target dome temperature points up to the 12 o'clock position, making it easier to see from a distance. Removing the clip, helps ensure they don't accidentally adjust the calibration with each twist.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    And this is an issue with all egg sizes.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options

I put the clips on the outside.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjp1060
    tjp1060 Posts: 55
    Options

That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip.