Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Adhesive question

jbajor
jbajor Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang!  Love the forum and all the great advice and tidbits it brings!  I am a new egger.  13 (but who's counting) sensational cooks so far spanning the food groups!  Quick question...  I just did a batch of my favorite chicken and inadvertantly dripped some sauce on sauce on the gasket while finishing.  No big deal until this morning when I went to open the 'cold' egg the gasket had been glued together in a few spots where the sauce turned to epoxy causing the underlying gadget to pull away from the ceramic.  Question is this, as the gasket is still in great shape, I would prefer to repair vs replace it.  Is there an adhesive/process that is recammended for these sorts of 'spot' fixes?
Cheers!!! 

Comments

• I am a dealer and use 3M adhesive "777". It is an aerosol spray in a red can. Can be purchased at the home improvement stores for about 12 bucks. It works great.

XL Egg.....Large Egg.....Every accessory stored in Gladiator Garageworks cabinets.  OH, Im a Egg Dealer!

• smoke_monster
    smoke_monster Posts: 42
    edited June 2012
    That can of 3M 777 will also come in handy when you fry your gasket.  The mother ship will send you a replacement NOMEX gasket that requires spray adhesive to attach.  If the area is too tight to easily spray, you can spray the adhesive on a piece of paper and use a flat edge to spread it.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's "super 77" actually.  spray cement.  basically contact cement on sprayable form.
    spray the rim and gasket separately.  allow to become dry to the touch, and then they'll stick firm.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jbajor
    jbajor Posts: 17
    Thanks everyone! I now have a can on order!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I just bought a Rutland gasket kit which came with a sealant. I take it I shouldn't use that. Is the 3M product better than the Permatex Copper?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Super 77 works great. But spray it in an old cup or clean tin can and apply it with a small paint brush. No overspray. Was at the Toronto Eggfest last weekend and was told by a BGE rep that RTV works as well but apply a small bead around the center of the of the rim and it will spread evenly. Was also told to put the Nomex gasket on the bottom only as it is thicker than the felt gasket. Anyone out there tried that one?

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    People put the Rutland on the bottom only never heard of putting the nomex on bottom only. The nomex comes with enough to do the top and bottom and the nomex isn't much thicker than the felt especially after the some sits on it for awhile. I would do both.
  • stike
    if you are going to spray it in a cup, then skip the $12 can, because you are paying a premium for it being SPRAY cement. it's just thinned contact cement.  buy some of that instead.

it's the rutland on one rim that is as thick as the felt on two. 

the OP was re: the felt or nomex, but i personally have a rutland with hi-temp silicone.  might be a warranty-breaker.  beware
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2012
    Has anyone tried putting the nomex on with hi-temp silicone?  Seems it might adhere better than the contact cement...just curious.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    i'm betting it would too.

i've seen pics
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I am gasketless but think i want to get a rutland as mothership sent me 2 nomex gaskets and I used one and super 77, let cure and all and after a pizza cook it came right off. So gasketless is how I have been, but rutland will be my next one if i get one. What sealant is best for that?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    silicone.
    not sure if a rutland and silicone voids your warranty. might wanna ask
  • michigan_jason
    silicone.

They will never know, shh....

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    if your base cracks they will.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I replaced the original felt gasket with nomex on the bottom only - mainly because I'm lazy (or it was hot out and getting dark).  Been running that way for close to a year, no issues with maintaining temps or shutting down.  Eventually I will scrape the top to get rid of the remaining petrified gasket, but probably won't put the nomex on the lid (see above, I'm lazy).
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have done 4 nomex gaskets so far on mine and several on friends and I fried one back when I was experimenting with 750 plus pizzas but that's it. The super 77 is great I wouldn't try anything else. I put a Rutland with permatex on my small a couple years ago and a nomex with super 77 one of my larges and the Rutland failed and the nomex is still fine. My small now has a nomex on it. I also spray it in a cup and then use a small sponge brush to apply.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I put the nomex on both top and bottom. The thickness is the same as the stock gasket. I cook on my egg daily and I have not had any problems with my nomex. It has been on for about 5 months. High temp pizza cooks have it singed a bit on the inside, but not even close to it being shot. I'll do a nomex gasket every time without question. Some will argue that the Rutland is superior. Perhaps it is, but honestly, if I have to put a new gasket on my egg every 5 years, or even once per year, no big deal. I used to spend $100/year getting my gasser running after a cold winter.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stike
    for some, nomex was nor an option at the time...
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Top and bottom - sticking to the super 77.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• michigan_jason
    edited June 2012

silicone.

They will never know, shh....
    I have 2 buddies that got brand new larges that were replaced by the mothership. One of them had the egg fall off of a deck at a party, and the other re-painted the outside of his and called it the big blue egg. "GO BLUE" Regardless, both were replced from the mothership. (they did have to take pics though. they took pics of the display unit at the store" BGE warranty is good, period.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

I have 2 buddies that got brand new larges that were replaced by the mothership. One of them had the egg fall off of a deck at a party, and the other re-painted the outside of his and called it the big blue egg. "GO BLUE" Regardless, both were replced from the mothership. (they did have to take pics though. they took pics of the display unit at the store" BGE warranty is good, period.

And the above is why warranty claims will get more and more difficult to validate.  It sure sounds like "operator error" for both but why accept responsibility...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    edited June 2012
    "One of them had the egg fall off of a deck at a party, and the other
    re-painted the outside of his and called it the big blue egg."

anecdotal evidence is great. very happy for them.  did your buddy tell them he dropped the egg off the deck?  because people who have had them broken by their own fault have gotten a break sometimes in replacing the bottom (or top, as the case may be), but not under warranty.  breakage caused by dropping etc. explicitly isn't covered. 

as for painting it, who knows.

my point is that the warranty has been tightened (call it 'clarified'), and it is not to be assumed that you can pimp the egg with aftermarket mods in order to reach temps beyond what the normal system would support, and then stomp your feet for a freebie firebox (or whatever) when you break something.

there is a point at which someone's gonna say "sorry"

and warranty seems to vary from dealer to dealer.  even from distributor to distributor.  not the written warranty, but the way it's applied face to face when someone walks in asserting a claim at the dealer level.