Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White smoke suddenly appearing mid cook--first ribs!

MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first baby backs ever today (2nd BGE cook overall), 2 racks using 3-1-1 and Dizzy Dust rub. 

Everything going fine so far. After 3 hours at 250 dome, I open the lid to foil the ribs. While I am doing that (with the lid still open), suddenly white acrid smoke (like when you first light the lump) starts pouring out which it had not been doing before. Seems like some lump that hadn't been lit caught flame when the lid was open. 

I left the ribs off the grill in foil for a few minutes, took the daisy wheel off to let the smoke clear, then put the ribs back on after it had cleared (about 15 minutes). 

Does this happen to others? Was my mistake leaving the lid open while foiling the ribs?

Will post some pics after they're done! (Smell great)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    leaving the lid open means giving it as much air as possible. you fanned the flames.
    it's why you get flare-ups when cooking steaks or chicken only when the dome is open.  dome closed, there's no extra air.  dome open, you get a massive influx

keep the dome shut, because the vents control temps. open dome=no control.

when you shut it again with everything in it, just keep the daisy on.  you can't let out more smoke than you let air in.  which means, if you didn't open the bottom vent, you weren't letting out the smoke 'faster'.  if you were letting it out faster, you'd be letting air in faster, and that too would raise temps
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't know why white smoke would come when you had the lid open, fire would be burning hotter.  That being said, don't have the lid open anymore than possible and definitely don't leave it open while foiling.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    More air equals growing fire. New lump to burn, smoking woods can now ignite instead of simply smoldering, fats can flare up

Dont panic over white smoke. Sure blue is better, but the food wasnt in there anyway. And when it was, it was foiled. White smoke wont ruin a cook
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante