Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Accessories?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Greetings from Fort Collins, CO!

I am the proud owner of a new XL that I am going to pick up this evening.  I just sold my 22.5" WSM and a Weber Performer because I figured that the XL would replace both of them.  I am going to build an island for it with a concrete top most likely over the next couple of weeks.  In the meantime though, I am looking for advice concerning useful accessories for the XL.   Mostly I will be doing chicken, burgers, pork butts, pizza, and ribs on the egg.  I assume that a platesetter is a must but are there other options that would be better?

I have never used an egg before so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

QDude (Stewart).

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• jafenske
    jafenske Posts: 11
    I went to college in Ft. Collins. I miss that town. 
  • bpclay
    bpclay Posts: 4
    I've had my XL for about six months....you'll love it!  You'll also find that just about any question you have as you're learning can & will get answered on the forum.

As for accessories, you are spot on with the platesetter.  I've also picked up the pizza stone, the cast iron grates, a V-Rack for cooking ribs, as well as a 'tiered' grid for having an 'elevated' surface when cooking direct.  While not purely a BGE accessory, I also have a cast iron dutch oven that I only use on the egg...it's great for cooking baked beans and chili.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It doesn't have to be a plate setter. Just something to do indirect.
    Personally for my large I wish i bought a spider and Stone from ceramic grill works to do indirect.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    You have a lot of reading to do on here. Congrats on the XL. It's an amazing piece of gear.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    I have an XL. Indirect grilling set-up is a must but wish I would have bought a spider instead of the plate setter. Check out the ceramic shop on line before your accessories purchase. Welcome to the family.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Make sure you check out the 2 Tier system from Ceramic Grill Works. I have on on order for my XL. Can't wait.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Ceramicgrillstore.com

Lots of more versatile options than platesetter there....
  • Bmeier
    Bmeier Posts: 16

Get the adjustable rig for sure! Got these butts going right now!

pork.jpg 757.4K
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Bmeier, that is my favorite set-up on the xl for smoking on one grid.....really opens up the cook and puts the meat at the dome's sweet spot.....

I'll be doing a brisket this weekend with it.....thanks for sharing.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Lump reducing ring is essential for the XL. It provides 2 heat zones and saves on lump. I would also recommend the woo2 kit from ceramic grill store instead of the platesetter. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • the only thing you need besides a platesetter or the spider is a thermapen...that is the best thing i have bought since i started with an xl...have added a mini and large over the last year...enjoy your xl...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder