Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my head is spinning...

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large now, getting closer to making a decision regarding another egg. small vrs mini?? I have seen the mini video on utube. Lots of different things are done on there. there is a few questions:
5-7 lb butt yes or no, 
do you have to reload the lump, how long would the lump go for?
is a person doing the butt direct. I have been doing mine indirect on my large.
pizza, pie is about 8 inches in diameter, yes or no
have to get a woo for the pizza yes or no
no plate setter available, what do you mini owners do for indirect cooking, thought I saw one picture where someone used a tile, looked like they set it on the fire ring. yes or no?

This is a huge decision for me, by the time you buy the mini and then a few accessories, (woo etc) it can add up quickly. I dont' want to end up with a big expense for a mini and then be sorry I don't have enough cooking grid surface or maybe lose some versatility.
Any counsel, from the general population out there??
Mickey I know you love your mini's, how would you rate them against the small.
The small is where I feel I should be, but the price is making my hesitate.
:-w
mini?
:-q or   :-bd
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I have a Large and an XL.  Works very well for me.  Just because it is big and has a lot of easy to cook on space, doesn't mean you have to burn a lot of lump.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I am getting a small on Tuesday. Small enough to carry around but large enough to cook a butt, ribs, 4 burgers, etc. It is the right decision for me. I am curious to hear the answers to your questions by mini owners. Good luck. Can't go wrong.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Why not another LBGE-all the toys will transfer and you know the way they behave.  Of course, this from one who is happy to just have one LBGE...and while I can justify another in my mind-the SWMBO has a different opinion-and we all know who wins :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Another large is to big for what I am thinking of doing. Part of the reason for a smaller version is two fold, ease of carrying, tailgating, rving. Second reason is I am thinking it would be nice to have two eggs going at the same time, two different cooking temps. Appy's on the small, meat on the large. This is a bit of a "do I really need another egg" My wife is ok with the idea, but I wanted to hear from people who have either mini or small's, and how do they enjoy the size they have chosen. How often would people who have more than one egg, use multiple eggs. 
    I am an idiot! Can't make up my mind.
    :((
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    I had a large, I bought a medium to supplement it and I really enjoy the extra flexibility when I want to do bigger cooks.
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    I have an XL and now have a small on the way.  I use the XL for when we entertain and I will use the small for my family of four.
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    SMOKE: I got the small to go with the large for exactly the reasons that you mentioned...flexibility in cooking and portability. Many times the small is all I need when cooking for the two of us and with the plate setter can easily do indirect as well as direct, but there are also the times that I need indirect for one thing and want direct for another, no problem with the two eggs. Same with needing two different temps.
    I'm not sure that the mini would be big enough for us even though I've watched the mini video a couple of times and am very impressed with what folks have done with it.
    Good luck in your decision.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA