Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25 Hour Pulled Pork

Options
Eggucated
Eggucated Posts: 213
edited May 2012 in Pork

Ok so after 24 hours at 205 degrees on the grate I pulled the butt, wrapped in HDAF, removed the platesetter and increased the heat to 375.  The butt was at 184, and took another hour and a half to hit 200.  Oh when I wrapped in HDAF I checked, it was tender, but not fall apart tender.

So my question is do I have a huge lump of dried pork jerky now?  Not sure what to expect, have it wrapped in a towel sitting out for an hour or so to rest.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Are you saying you had the egg at 205 for 24 hours? I would have the egg at 250 or so for however many hours until the butt gets to 205.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Eggucated
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I did two 8lb butt's on Tuesday and they were done at the 16 hour mark.  Same temp, same everything this time one 8lb butt took 25 1/2 hours.  205 at the grate was 245 or so Dome.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I've done this and have not had much luck with lower cooking temps compared to say 250 or so. It seems like after a certain point, the meat starts losing moisture. That doesn't meat it will be "jerky" but it may benefit from sauce. I find that the smoke and flavor is great but the texture just needs a little wetter mouth feel. That's just my experience though. Your's may be different. 
  • Eggucated
    Options
    It was awesome, great texture, moist and nice smoke ring. Gotta love a good butt, very forgiving.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Glad it worked-out.  Must admit , I admire your patience and this is the classic example of "no two hunks of meat cook the same". Enjoy-you have certainly earned it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    Awesome! Sounds great!
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Thanks lousubcap. It certainley proved it was worth the wait, I'm going to try a turbo butt next time I do pulled pork again. I think my next low and slow will be another brisket. Thinking abut ordering sauce and rub from Saltlick...
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Wow do you cook low and slow! 

I don't think I could wait 24 hours needless to say all that time checking it. But I guess at 200 you don't have much of a fire going and I am sure there is not a ton of temp change going on or is there? I never cooked that low before.