Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Eggie-A series of simple questions...

Options
Mamajc
Mamajc Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey! Just got my large Egg.  Came with a nest & a platesetter. I have a few basic questions to get start.

1. For pizza-why can't I cook on the platesetter legs down?  I understand the bottom may cook quickly, any other reasons? Will it hurt the platesetter?

2.  I do a lot of things in a dutch oven (breads, stews, chili), what is the preferred position for doing these cooks? Do I worry about damaging my pans? Can they go directly on the platesetter?

3.  I have been grilling on a weber kettle. I typically do a two-level fire so that I have direct & indirect on the same grid.  Is there anyway to replicate this versatility? The biggest is for steaks-searing for 1 min on direct, then scooting over to indirect is so easy on the kettle.  I can't fathom it on the BGE.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012
    Options
    1. Nothing will get hurt but your pizza. Some people say it affects can ruin the stock gasket, but you can ruin it legs up too.
    2. They can go on platesetter, but I would put the grid on top of platesetter, and the pot on the grid.
    3. There are many tricks to getting different temps at one time in the egg. I have a small cheap grid from a weber smoky joe that I put on top of a foil pan that I use after the sear. The pan blocks the direct flame. You can also just get something to raise your grid way up high away from the fire. You are stiill cooking direct, but you create so much vertical space between your steak and the fire that it won't continue to sear.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited May 2012
    Options
    1. Supposedly, legs up, with pizza stone on the grid is better for the gasket. I cooked pizzas legs up and legs down. Legs down definitely allows the flames to curl at the felt line. The plate setter will be fine either way.

2. I use a camp Dutch oven (has legs), and place the pan directly on the plate setter -- legs up. If you have a flat bottom Dutch oven, I guess I would use the plate setter legs up, with the pan on the grid.

3. Lots of variations with this. For steak, I kind of use the trex method, but rather than getting the egg way up to 700, I get it to 400. For the sear, I place a smaller (Weber?) grid directly on the coals, and the steaks on the grid. 90 seconds each side. Remove, foil, and rest for 20 minutes. Unwrap and return to a 400 grill and finish to desired temp.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe