Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Night Again

SamFerrise
SamFerrise Posts: 556
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooking Pizza after I modified the cast iron fire grate.  Much better air flow and temperature control.  You do not have to spend $35 for a stainless grate to replace the original.  Pizza night never disappoints!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Can never get tired of pizza night....when it comes off the Egg. Yours looks spot on. Love the calzone, something we've been meaning to try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Looks great.  Any suggestions on crust and sauce recipes?

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sam, looks great. Can you give me some details on the calzone?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    As I have stated before in this forum I am not a thin crust fan, so my pies are thicker and take a little longer to cook.  I have many years of pizza cooking experience that helps me make changes in my recipe to adapt to wood fired cooking.  The dough I use now was years in the making and I am completely satisfied with it now.  I have the recipe documented and have shared it with this forum.  Calzones are different because you are cooking a stuffed pizza basically.  If you are using any kind of meats in your calzones you need to precook them, with the exception of pepperoni or ham.  In the calzone above I used caramelized onions, mushrooms, peppers and homemade meatballs.  I also add some ricotta cheese mixed with fresh basil and parsley to finish it off before folding it closed.  You need to make slits in the top to let the steam escape and avoid a big balloon bubble.  I do not use a rolling pin because I have been working dough with my hands for so long that I can consistently hand stretch my dough thin and uniform.  I brush my calzones with melted butter and sprinkle with parmiggiano cheese.  I find that sometimes the flavor can be flat in the calzones so I add a simple mixture of Onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  I mix these at a 1 to 1 ration of each and sprinkle some on the inside of the calzone.  Let the calzone rest for at least 5 minutes before you slice them.  I use a large chef knife to slice my calzones because roller cutters just squeeze the fillings out and make a mess.  My wife is one of those that likes soft gooey dough so I will cook hers less. I like mine to have some crispiness to the crust.  If you need any other advice or recipes email me at samferrise@gmail.com.  Cooking has been a passion of mine for many years.  The Egg has expanded my experience to a new level.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!