Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

danish style ribs

Options
jdgcrean
jdgcrean Posts: 44
edited May 2012 in Root

New to the big green egg - just purchased a couple of weeks ago, and have had fantastic results with steaks, burgers and sausages. tried ribs for the first time last night, using a danish style cut - not sure if these are unique to toronto (bought from upper cuts meats at the st. lawrence market). they are a thick slab with and extra 3rd of an inch of meat on the top of the ribs.

cooked at 220 for 5 - 6 hours with a drip pan. i got them up to 165 before finishing them off on high heat with some sauce. used a rub, drip pan and some hickory wood for some smoke. while they tasted great and had a nice smoke ring, they seemed a little dried out. i had the vents on the daisy wheel open slighly to get my temperature right - wondering if they should be closed to keep the moisture in? i didn't baste or use the car wash mike method with the foil & cider - will this sort the issue of dry ribs? it also seemed strange that they didn't bend/fold when i picked them up with tongs. did they just need to be cooked for longer?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    You can't completely close the DW or the airflow will not be enough to sustain the fire. 

Most people do not rely upon temp for ribs as it is hard to accurately measure.  Instead try a bend test and look for how much the meat has pulled away from the bone.  You might try 5 hrs at 250* next time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

If they were any other rib I would say they were undercooked. I haven't used the Danish ones in years cause they were too lean for barbeque. Can't say for sure that that is your problem but if I were a betting man I would say they were just undecooked.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    Options
    Many thanks gents. think i'm going to give baby-backs a crack this weekend!