Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aced my first pizza!

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a BGE pizza stone last week and finally had an opportunity to try it out tonight. My wife found a recipe for dough that was low in sugar (to prevent burning) and we used her standard homemade sauce that she has used for years. After reading all the posts here with people struggling with pizza until they find a sweet spot, I really didn't expect my first to turn out the best. Boy was I wrong! We did two pizzas and they turned out great - were some of the best pizza I have had in a long time. The crust seemed to raise while being baked. The bottom was crispy and the rest was soft - just the way we like them. I cooked them at 650 deg for about 15 min each. No burning - turned out perfect! Have I mentioned that I love my Egg?  :)

I used a flat cookie sheet for a peel. Used some corn meal on it - the only trouble I had was the dough wanted to stick just a bit when I went to slide it onto the stone. I think next time I will use some parchment paper.

I was so wrapped up in this first pizza cook and honestly expected less than stellar results that I didn't get pics. Sorry!

Comments

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    I don't see how you could keep a pizza in a 650° egg for 15 minutes. Did you preheat the stone at all?
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Yea. I'd guess it pre-heated for close to 45 min. I was peeking every 4-5 min monitoring progress - trying to prevent burned crust so maybe that is why it took as long as it did. Once I get more comfortable with the recipe and how it cooks, I will likely be able to cut that back. I hope so anyhow - since I need two pizzas to feed my crew and the quicker, the better!
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I've had to through out pizzas that were completely charred black after 4 minutes 30 at 650°.

I'm glad it worked for you though.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012