Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump charcoal bin question

Ylee
Ylee Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I am in the process of designing a 72" long table for my large egg.  On the far right end will be the egg and on the left end I was planning on putting in a bin that could hold my lump charcoal on heavy duty slides or rollouts.  I'm thinking of using a double hinged lid so that i can flip it back halfway if i want to grab just a few pieces quickly or i have the option to flip the whole thing back.  My question is, does anyone have a better idea about how to deal with the charcoal bin?  I want it integrated with my table so it is all in one.

Comments

• You want it air tight if it it's going to stay outdoor. Humidity will get to it. Damp lump will ruin your day.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think you will be just fine. I store my lump under my eaves...sorry I don't know what you call them. The overhang from the roof trusses where the soffit gets attached to.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I think you want something that you can fully remove so that you can fill it away from your table.  Pouring charcoal from the bag generates a lot of dust that you don't want on your table. 

I'd suggest bins for wood chunks and a slide out drawer that will hold a bag of charcoal and leave the charcoal in the bag.  I see the charcoal bin as getting to be a mess that can only spread to other surfaces of your new table.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I have a plastic bin from Target I used to store dog food in. If that's covered from rain think that'll suffice?
    Boom