Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cleaning and gaskets

Options
DHW
DHW Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
i am looking at doing a burn out to clean for the first time. any suggestions on how hot and how long? where is best place to get new gaskets if it gets damaged? thanks

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It WILL get damaged. I, however, wouldn't worry about it. In my experience, the gasket is not needed and no value added. I haven't had a gasket since my second cook. My suggestion is to let the gasket go and see if it effects your cooks. If not, don't replace.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    While it irritates me that the gasket is gone (within a week) on both the Eggs, I can't say it makes much difference.  Travisstrick is right.

I did a smoke of salmon on the XL yesterday, and an 11 hour pork shoulder today on the L.  Both have completely toasted gaskets.  Doesn't appear to have been a problem.

The thing I wonder about is why they don't make some sort of overlapping joint for the dome and bottom, and skip the gasket.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    While it irritates me that the gasket is gone (within a week) on both the Eggs, I can't say it makes much difference.  Travisstrick is right.

I did a smoke of salmon on the XL yesterday, and an 11 hour pork shoulder today on the L.  Both have completely toasted gaskets.  Doesn't appear to have been a problem.

The thing I wonder about is why they don't make some sort of overlapping joint for the dome and bottom, and skip the gasket.
    If they did that where would we put the probe wires through??
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the domes and lower portions of the eggs aren't perfectly registered together.  they are fired separately and married after the fact.  underbite and overbite are common (not a defect), because the things aren't really made perfectly round

i always thought they could cast in a groove, rather than machining the surfaces after firing, and then key in a silicone gasket.  did these sketches a while ago of the idea.

if they cast a groove, then you could drop a stock o-ring into it, and it'd stay there without adhesive.

other thought was a custom gasket that keyed into a machined dado, but cutting ceramic would chew up the tools, even industrial diamond coated stuff.  probably easier to cast it and be done
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I primarily do low and slow stuff, most pizza's are between 5-600 for me.   That said, I have a gunk build up, starting to see some unattractive sweating...  ewwwwwww.

Time for a burn out - hoping I can do it without toasting the gaskets - we will see.  My thinking is to heat things up for a while, but not open the lid.   Something in my mind thinks gasket failure is related to opening the dome at very high heat.   We will see...   

If I do lose the gaskets, then will follow Travis's advise, try it without them or replace with one of the more durable options.

Cookin in Texas
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Stike, you need to be on the BGE design team!! That design would make life much easier.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Along the lines of @Stike 's idea - I thought about just buying a high temp exhaust hose from a muffler shop, slitting it open on the bottom, and "capping" the lower half of the Egg.  Haven't looked to see if it'd interfere with the raised grate or not...

I'll let Stike do the CAD on that...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    This is how I do mine

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Not sure how hot those weed burners that some of you use to light your lump get, but has anyone tried one of those (or a torch) to just burn residue off the interior? The ceramic can certainly survive it and you wouldn't put your gaskets at risk. Just a thought...