Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

General Tso's Chicken on the mini .... but I cheated !

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am afraid of deep frying on the BGE.  We have an open flame, extremely hot oil, on a wok that isn't the stableist cooking vessel every invented. General Tso's Chicken calls for deep frying chicken nuggets prior to the stir fry.  So, I fried them in a deep fryer.  The rest was BGE kosher.

First, coat the chicken in a batter of eggs and corn starch.  The corn starch will eventually let the sauce cling to the chicken.

Next, fry the chicken nuggets until lightly brown.  Drain on paper towels.

Stir fry the dried chiles until fragrant.  Then, add chicken.  Cook for a couple of minutes, add sauce, and stir fry until sauce is thickened.

Garnish with green onions.

I am still on the learning curve for the mini.  Having spent so much time on the large, it is a real foreign device for me.  But, I know it will eventually be one of my favorite cooks.

Thanks for looking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Wow VI!! That looks amazing! I will definitely try this recipe!

You truely are the master Ms. Chan made you out to be!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks, Caz.

Here is the link to the recipe I used.

Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im more afraid to deep fry indoors in the house.  try small batches in the wok, egg at 600, stabilize, open dome and shut lower vent, wait for flames to subside, a few cups oil and fry small batches, bring them back to hot in the egg with other ingrediants. closing lower vent is key to make the flames go away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Wow that look amazing
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    im more afraid to deep fry indoors in the house.  try small batches in the wok, egg at 600, stabilize, open dome and shut lower vent, wait for flames to subside, a few cups oil and fry small batches, bring them back to hot in the egg with other ingrediants. closing lower vent is key to make the flames go away
    fishlessman.  If I was out in the woods on a camping trip, I would certainly do that.  But, at home, I don't see the advantage of doing it on the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    not burning the house down is the only advantage i see
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Options
    VI,

How $picy i$ $picy?  My wife i$ not a fan of $picy food.  Your di$h look$ deliciou$.

Bama
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    VI,

How $picy i$ $picy?  My wife i$ not a fan of $picy food.  Your di$h look$ deliciou$.

Bama
    Bama,

It's not spicy at all.  If any ting, it would come from stir frying the dried red chiles.  To me, they add a touch of flavor and perhaps a tad of spice.  If that is a bother, don't use them.  You'd still get the major flavor of it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    not burning the house down is the only advantage i see
    lol.  Exactly my point.  No chance of burning the house down on a deep fryer.  A spilled wok on an open flame is quite another story.  No big deal.  Whatever works for you is the way it should be done.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice Gary. That is certainly up to your skills as a cook and photographer.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options

Looks pretty awesome VI. I have been fighting this wokking on the egg thing but you are rapidly breaking me down. A couple more of these posts and I'm afraid I will be talking to Mrs. Chan.

You are the "Wokking Guru"...