Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb lid question.

Options
iowaeggboy
iowaeggboy Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in Root
Hey Eggland!  I just got my first Egg and grilled some burgers tonight.  I am curious about the top vent.  It seems that every time I open the lid that I need to hold on to the top lid, or be really careful with it so it doesn't fall off.  Is that normal?

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    If it's because the cap is swinging around the pivot causing it to fling off, you have your top lined up incorrectly.  Check Nakedwhiz's website for the proper way to line up the pivots on the lid.  I'm too lazy to find the link at the moment....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Or not use it. Unless I am under 325 I never use it. Can control with the lower vert just fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    he's likely talking about the large number of daisies that sit on the neck of the chimney.  not sure whether it is a wider chimney or a narrower daisy.  but they don't all sit right.  the bottom rim on the daisy of my small bottoms out on the neck of the top vent (chimney).  i have heard some with large eggs complain about the same thing.

it either falls off, or gets stuck (after cooling)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante