Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicers

Gezr
Gezr Posts: 154
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been thinking about making my own cold cuts in order to have more flavorful meats available than what we usually get out of the market deli case. Probably do mostly beef, turkey breast, and ham...the usual suspects. That brings up the need for a meat slicer. I've looked at many on-line sources and come to the conclusion that I can spend a lot of money for something bigger and better than I need or spend a little money for something that would be inadequate. In other words I need advice: It would probably get a good workout ten or twelve times a year. I also make my own sauerkraut so it would be used for slicing cabbage as well.
Like to hear about your experience doing cold cuts and specifically any slicer recommendations that you have.
TIA
If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA

Comments

• I went the cheap ($100-150) route in purchasing my slicer...I regret the decision every time I pull the thing out.  It works OK for slicing about 1/8" par-frozen beef for jerky, but I have never been able to get that great paper thin deli slice that is sounds like you are looking for.  My $0.02 is to spend as much as you can, and wait if you can't spend enough now.  

My plan is to replace with a nice unit that I find at a restaurant supply shop or auction in the future.  It's like any tool...you get what you pay for.  If you're cooking on an egg, you already know the benefits of having the right tool.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    please don't waste your money on a home grade slicer. It'll never cut thick enough or thin enough well. Surf your local craigslist or look for a used restaurant supply company. They may be big and heavy, but they're built that way for a reason.
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    I bought this one a few years back:

I haven't used it as much as I would have hoped.  Some of my thoughts:

It seems to cut alright.  I am fairly happy with the end product.

My cons are like this:
    • cleanup takes kinda takes awhile.  A lot of different parts need to be taken apart.
    • storage of another kitchen appliance.  This is a small home use one, and it takes up good cupboard space.  I can't image where we'd put a really nice professional one.
    • I bought mine wanting to buy bulk deli meat, saving money.  Turns out I have a hard time finding bulk meat significantly cheaper than when they cut it for me.
    • I used mine to make beef jerky, but the amount of effort to get it out and clean it, it's easier to just cut the meat with a sharp knife.
    Just my thoughts.
  • Gezr
    WoodsDog
    That model was one that I was looking at mainly because of price so I appreciate your comments.
    Looks kinda like I may have to look around for a good used big machine...space isn't really a problem and I hate to put money into something that is a trial to use.

Afton, VA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    As for the Edgecraft, it still look like plastic and we all know how long plastic stuff holds up to "real" use.
  • The one I have is the same slicer as the link, just a different re-brand...just saying.  At the 100-150 price point, you'd be better served with a REALLY good knife or two IMO.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Gezr
    I've talked with a local restaurant supply store that deals in a lot of used equipment and they are looking for something suitable...like a smallish commercial grade slicer. They have two used Hobarts but that is waaaay overkill and also too expensive.
    Thanks for the feedback, all.

Afton, VA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I have an Edgecraft 609E.  Got it for x-mas this year. I'm no slicing expert but this thing has worked great so far.  I sliced up a brisket, a roast beef and a turkey breast.  Performed just fine for the number of times I'll use it.  I'm a happy "cheap slicer" owner.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I just bought the Edgecraft Chef's Choice 609 for $80.  It will get the job done, but I wouldn't highly suggest it.  There isn't a proper handle on the slide, the slide action isn't smooth, you are only supposed to run it for 10 minutes to keep it from overheating, and the slide action isn't long enough slice big / wide items (like bacon).  But I was in a pinch to slice some bacon I had just cured and smoked.   I ended up having to cut the bacon in half to get it sliced.  Better than having unevenly cut bacon.  Was mostly easy to clean.  There were a few spots that I feel like I might need use a screwdriver to disassemble and clean.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    I have a cheap warning pro and it sucks... so save up and spend the money...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    atleggernaut nailed it.

i knew i was screwing myself by buying a cheapo, but i needed it and couldn't wait for the right craigslist one to turn up.

it stinks.  have to roll bacon in order to slice it, have to add dishsoap to the rail so it slides easily, blade is small....

damn. waste of effort and time.  like the BGE, don't look for a knockoff and expect similar result. i did.  always ends badly
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante