Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made chili powder

mustgrill
mustgrill Posts: 141
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

I was ask to post this. I have video on this process. I have tried many type of chilis. This video is the one like. It is fun to make and great to use.

Ingredients
  • 4 Ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1" pieces *note
  • 4 New Mexico chilies, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1" pieces *Note
  • 4 Guajillo chilies, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1" pieces *note
  • 2 dried arbol chilies, stemmed, seeded and  cut into 1" pieces *note
  • 3 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Directions

Place all of the chilies in a heavy cast iron or heavy pan on med/high heat. Roast, moving the chilies around constantly, until you begin to smell the peppers, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Be very careful they will burn and then you have to start over. Remove from pan and add cumin and the same applies to the cumin do not let burn. Toast them till they are fragrant , remove from pan and let cool.  

Once cool, place the chilies and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

* Remove as many of the seeds and the top of chilies as possible. Dried chilies should be pliable not dry and crunchy. Arbol chilies add the heat if you want it hotter add more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88shBqVJOOI

Located in Western North Carolina

Comments