Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to haul assembled BGE

Options
A2Z
A2Z Posts: 99
edited March 2012 in Root
Hello to everyone on the BGE forum.  I am new here and look forward to learning how to best use my egg.

I have purchased a large BGE that I will pick up following the eggfest.  It will be out of the nest.  Any suggestions about how to haul it? About a 40 mile trip. 

Comments

• mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    Options
    I had mine delivered, but I have read on the forum to take the ceramic out and wrap up good with packing. Evidently the egg itself is not that heavy. I am sure the people at the fest will let you know.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you have an SUV, you can stand it in back and cram a bag of charcoal next to it, even grabbing a seatbelt from the third row seats maybe, to anchor it.

i used to take out the guts, but their cracking isn't an issue, it's the weight

if you have a sedan, you might even be able to sit it in the back seat on a towel, and agian, satbelt it in.  need to take out the belt all the way and wrap the belt around it and thru the handle, etc.  otherwise the seatbelt remains lose as you go around a corner.   turn it so the hinge is at the side, and maybe cover it with a towel so it won't punch thru the fabric

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    stike wished I had a copy (picture) of Franks in the Jet.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    Have Egg....will travel. Ring and box removed and cardboard placed between all parts and reassembled once in the back of the truck. Ratchet tie-down to secure.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    When I bought my large, I just set it in the back of my Explorer with a bag of charcoal and some other stuff propped around it, just like Stike suggests.  Of course, I only had to drive 1.2 miles with it.  I think I would take the innards out just in case you go over a bit pothole or something.  And I have seen photos of large Eggs in the passenger seat of a car, belted in. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options

Thanks everyone for the tips.

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    In my VW Jetta,  I had the top in the front seat, bottom in the back seat (with seat belts) and all other parts in the trunk.

Drive extra careful 

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Mickey
    Options
    I understand that Egg just lowered the price of the "hitch holder deal" a few hundred. Still lots of money but cool.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jmsmrdk
    jmsmrdk Posts: 87
    Options
    "hitch holder deal" makes me nervous.  I buckle my medium into the back seat.  
  • Mickey
    Options
    This is from BGE

The Big Green Egg Tailgate Hitch is a Class IV hitch system that will give you the ability to move your Large, Medium or Small EGG with ease and convenience to sporting events, cookouts or camping – HITCH
    Porcelain coated steel
    Secures your EGG with three locking points on the main mast and two locking points on the casters
    Indicator lights for both braking and turn signals
    Assembly instructions and owner’s manual included
    One year warranty on all parts and materials
    Includes protective cover
    Designed and manufactured in the USA exclusively for Big Green Egg
    Share The Ultimate Cooking Experience: