Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive New Big Joe

Options

Comments

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    Yes, the Big joe has an ash screen, and I hear the classic Joes will get one too.
    Thanks whiz. Anybody have any idea if the XL spider will fit in the notches in the firebox? 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    So, just curious - those of you hyping the "Big Joe" on a Big GREEN EGG forum, don't you think that's just a bit, oh I dunno - discourteous & insensitive? I haven't been on the KJ forum (if they have one), but I wonder if that would be tolerated over there?

If you like the product better - good for you - you can enjoy it & brag about it - over on their forum.

The KJ is BLATANTLY a copy of the BGE - even Stevie Wonder could see that.

And from what I gather, there really isn't much difference in price, so it's not like you're saving 50% by buying a KJ over a BGE. I don't know what kind of warranty there is on a KJ, but a NO QUESTIONS ASKED, LIFETIME WARRANTY on the most important pieces of the Egg (ie, the ceramics) is HARD TO BEAT!!

I mean, I'm all for competition, and making a better mousetrap, but there's a difference between taking an idea & improving on it, and then just copying it & changing a few minor things. The overall shape & "form/fit/function" of the KJ is a copy of the Egg, which means that they were obviously trying to capitalize off of the Egg's success, market, and popularity. I mean, they could've done something like made the thing rectangular, and/or maybe NOT put the "wings" on it which look EGGSACTLY like the Egg's wings, or a myriad of other things to help differentiate itself from the Egg - but they chose to take the easy way out, which was to steal someone else's idea & capitalize off the backs of the BGE company.

When it's all said & done, you can either buy a Shelby Cobra, or you can buy a Shelby Cobra Kit car (but in this case, you're going to spend nearly as much for the kit car as for the real thing).
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from HillBilly Hi-tech. I hesitated posting those pics as I thought some die hards might get mad. I was just replying to the questions that some had and some people were asking for pictures. There was even a link to the page. I will take down the pics if people want me to?
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from HillBilly Hi-tech. I hesitated posting those pics as I thought some die hards might get mad. I was just replying to the questions that some had and some people were asking for pictures. There was even a link to the page. I will take down the pics if people want me to?
    I wasn't necessarily talking about your pics (unless you were using the pics to try to show KJ's superiority over BGE) - I was mainly referring to those who'd posted about the KJ having a "better gasket" or a bigger cooking grid, better customer service, etc.

I mean, if all that stuff is really "better" - than why bother "slumming" oneself on a lowly BGE forum then - why not hang out on the KJ forum & drool over there?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • KingRover
    Options

Because its a discussion about ceramic cookers, on a ceramic cooking forum? People can post what they want and read what they want. If the Admins want to delete stuff, thats understandable (why advertise for the competition.)

But I don't think people should be discouraged from posting their opinions/personal experiences.

My $0.02.

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Options

Because its a discussion about ceramic cookers, on a ceramic cooking forum? People can post what they want and read what they want. If the Admins want to delete stuff, thats understandable (why advertise for the competition.)

But I don't think people should be discouraged from posting their opinions/personal experiences.

My $0.02.

Actually, it's not a generic "ceramic cooking forum" - it is THE OFFICIAL Big Green Egg forum, and the discussion contains several posts where some people are clearly trying to state their opinion that the competition to the BGE is "better" in certain areas - all the while on the official BIG GREEN EGG forum. As I'd said, I don't think that would be tolerated on the KJ forum, so where do folks get off trying to think they can do it here?

And if you'd read the "Rules & Disclaimer" (posted here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134015/rules-disclaimer#Item_1), it clearly states: "Please do not use the forum to engage in product bashing – ours or others – as that is not the purpose of this online community. "

So, just MY $0.02...
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    I like the enthusiasm.
  • hogsfan
    Options
    I'm relatively new here because I only recently purchased an egg. Did I break a forum rule by asking questions? I figured if the thread was up on a topic, it was ok to discuss the topic. Is there a list of forum guidelines someone can point me to?
  • hogsfan
    Options
    Thanks. You read my mind. 
  • Mike8it
    Options
    I'm relatively new here because I only recently purchased an egg. Did I break a forum rule by asking questions? I figured if the thread was up on a topic, it was ok to discuss the topic. Is there a list of forum guidelines someone can point me to?
    I am new here as well but I do not think you have done anything wrong. I can see both sides of the coin on this one. I think a free marketplace and capitalism are what drives us as a society and that a company has every right to put out a product that they feel can compete. Often this creates other companies to come out with new innovations and improve the quality of their products. I also agree somewhat with HTH and his position to defend the egg on it's own forum. One thing that helped me make my decision on buying an egg was this forum and people like HTH speaking so passionately about the egg.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    KJ doesn't have a forum, by the way.  They do have a facebook page and are pretty tolerant, FWIW.
    The Naked Whiz
  • hogsfan
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I think what concerns me here is I didn't see any egg bashing. I saw comparisons (it's bigger) but that's not bashing. Otherwise, it would be bashing the medium to say it's smaller than the large. Unless of course you WANT a smaller egg, then it's bashing the large. I saw way more critical rhetoric in HTH's comments of KJ than anybody said about the egg.

I feel like there are "unwritten rules" here that I don't know about. Just so I know, what else are we not supposed to talk about?
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Everything is subject to interpretation I suppose. Still, I thoroughly enjoy spirited conversations on this forum and I believe this thread may have some legs!!!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I think what concerns me here is I didn't see any egg bashing. I saw comparisons (it's bigger) but that's not bashing. Otherwise, it would be bashing the medium to say it's smaller than the large. Unless of course you WANT a smaller egg, then it's bashing the large. I saw way more critical rhetoric in HTH's comments of KJ than anybody said about the egg.

I feel like there are "unwritten rules" here that I don't know about. Just so I know, what else are we not supposed to talk about?
    Somebody had said: "I had issue with BGE and had to fight to get parts and it touk me 6 week to recive the part for my large BGE! Hummm!!! Both of theses are excellent cookers but me personally I like the KJ better and find to have a way better customer service with them!"

Someone else had said: "Add a superior gasket design, better cooking grid, larger fire box, thicker ceramic, red and black colors, better hardware, fully assembled, lid and body ground down to perfect fit, to the list as well. "

And I'm sure if I spent more time reading through each & every post, I could find others.

FWIW, if the forum admins choose to allow this thread to stay up, then that's their decision. All I'd said was that it was disrespectful to the Egg to be saying the KJ is better than the Egg on the OFFICIAL Egg forum. If you wanna do that, then here's a wacky thought - maybe find a generic ceramic cooking forum!!!

Otherwise, that's like going to a bar in Oakland & starting a conversation about how much better the Steelers or Broncos are - let's see how far that gets you!!!

P.S. Hogfan - what did I say that was "bashing" the KJ? It IS a copy of the BGE. It looks the same, it's got the same shape, same relative sizing (w/in a few inches here & there), same side tables (wings), same "nest" etc - if it was THAT MUCH BETTER, don't you think they could've made it look NOTHING like the Egg & gotten their customers by having a better product versus just trying to siphon off the Egg's customers?

There's a differernce between creating a better product which outperforms the competition in it's own right versus just being a "vulture" & using all the work, R&D, marketing, look, form, fit, & function, etc from the original product in a pathetic attempt to siphon customers away.

Finally, the rules are NOT "unwritten" - they are indeed, WRITTEN, and a link to them was provided. Please don't start making crap up... If you want to debate, then we can do so using facts & logic, not emotional rhetoric that cannot be substantiated.
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Pro BGE for a couple reasons.

BGE has a lifetime warranty.  KJ is 20 years (I believe).
    The ceramics are better on the egg.
    BGE is made in Mexico.  KJ is made in China.  Neither is USA, but Mexico probably has more fair trade.
    I like green more than red.
    The BGE hardware is manufactured right here in Wisconsin.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Hillbilly it did take 6 week to get my parts from BGE the reason it took that long is because here in canada they don't ship parts straight to the customer. What they do they send the parts to your nearest retailer with there next order!! This is why i have a issue with BGE canada!

With KJ I had one deffective parts and they sent it directly to my house via FEDEX. I received the parts four days after reporting the issue! Which I find is excellent customer service.

I have a large BGE and a large KJ and love them both. They are both excellent grills and they both have there own little issues. The only beef I have is that BGE is always a big fight here in Canada to get replacement parts and it takes so long for us to received them. I delth with them four times in six year and wasn't ounce impress with the service. If they would fixe this customer relationship issue they would rock!!!!! But I love the BGE grill do!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Shawn, I'm not doubting your tales of woe regarding the lag time on the parts - and FWIW, that does, indeed, SUCK...

It's the bad form & disrespect shown that you then go on to say that you prefer the KJ on the OFFICIAL Egg foru........ ohhhhhhhhhh, NEVERMIND - no amount of reiterating & 'splaining is going to get through to some people...

Would you go onto KJ's forum and... .ohhhhh wait, they don't even have one... (irony can be pretty ironic sometimes)...

anyway, carry on w/ watching Jersey Shore...
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Not to bash anybody, but I'm curious about the statement that the BGE ceramics are better than the KJ ceramics.  In what way?  Again, just curious.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Volfo
    Volfo Posts: 39
    Options

I'm going to avoid the mudslinging and accusations and just state that my KJ did not come with an ash screen.  I bought it approximately 7 months ago.  While searing steaks this weekend a hot piece of ash jumped out onto my wood deck.  Didn't cause any problems, but I did keep my eye on things for awhile. 

The products are very similar and each one has slight differentiations, which are subtle but obvious.  I would agree that the KJ seems to be a very close copy of an Egg, whether intentional or not, I don't know, -  and frankly to me that's a selling point because the egg is a great product.  I have both an egg and a KJ and would recommend them both.  They are so similar I don't see how someone could like one and not the other. 

The reason why I bought a second ceramic cooker was because I loved the egg so much I wanted another one for a cabin.  The reason I bought a KJ when I bought my second was a combination of slightly lower price and also some frustrations I had had with my gasket and thermometer on my egg.  I understand now the egg comes with a better thermometer, and when I emailed corporate (not my dealer), they sent me a Nomex gasket with instructions on how to replace it.  So the egg seems to have addressed any concerns there or supported their customer well.  I would not hestiate to recommend an Egg to someone.  I also would provide honest advice about my perceptions of each product to someone that asks.  

• hogsfan
    Options
    My dealer said the same thing about the ceramic. I'm curious about that too. It had something to do with a patented (or maybe just proprietary) technology and being cooked at higher temps than other ceramics but I don't remember the specifics.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Volfo, as I said, Classic Joe's will have an ash screen soon, if they don't already.  The one I got didn't have one either.  It was probably around the same time you got yours.  I pointed out the lack of an ash screen in my review.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Volvo very well said. Whiz I also mentionned about the lack of ash screen on my review of the KJ on my blog. Bobby also told me that this year models has the screen but I can't confirm that they implemented this yet!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • hogsfan
    Options

Somebody had said: "I had issue with BGE and had to fight to get parts and it touk me 6 week to recive the part for my large BGE! Hummm!!! Both of theses are excellent cookers but me personally I like the KJ better and find to have a way better customer service with them!"

Someone else had said: "Add a superior gasket design, better cooking grid, larger fire box, thicker ceramic, red and black colors, better hardware, fully assembled, lid and body ground down to perfect fit, to the list as well. "

And I'm sure if I spent more time reading through each & every post, I could find others.

FWIW, if the forum admins choose to allow this thread to stay up, then that's their decision. All I'd said was that it was disrespectful to the Egg to be saying the KJ is better than the Egg on the OFFICIAL Egg forum. If you wanna do that, then here's a wacky thought - maybe find a generic ceramic cooking forum!!!

Otherwise, that's like going to a bar in Oakland & starting a conversation about how much better the Steelers or Broncos are - let's see how far that gets you!!!

P.S. Hogfan - what did I say that was "bashing" the KJ? It IS a copy of the BGE. It looks the same, it's got the same shape, same relative sizing (w/in a few inches here & there), same side tables (wings), same "nest" etc - if it was THAT MUCH BETTER, don't you think they could've made it look NOTHING like the Egg & gotten their customers by having a better product versus just trying to siphon off the Egg's customers?

There's a differernce between creating a better product which outperforms the competition in it's own right versus just being a "vulture" & using all the work, R&D, marketing, look, form, fit, & function, etc from the original product in a pathetic attempt to siphon customers away.

Finally, the rules are NOT "unwritten" - they are indeed, WRITTEN, and a link to them was provided. Please don't start making crap up... If you want to debate, then we can do so using facts & logic, not emotional rhetoric that cannot be substantiated.

What did I say that was not logical, unsubstantiated, was overly emotional, or made up? 

You see size comparisons and real life experiences as "bashing" the egg. It's not bashing. It's a tape measure. It's factual. Not emotional.  Then you go on to call the KJ "vultures" and site a rule that says "do not bash us or our competitors" as some sort of justification.  That doesn't make sense. 

• troutgeek
    Options
    The ceramics are space-age, so they have to be good!  Actually, I don't know.  The BGE ceramic properties are probably a guarded secret, but they are willing to put a lifetime warranty on them.  On the other hand, I'm not very confident about what is in the Chinese ceramics, considering the amount of lead they allow in children's toys and the recalls that follow.  Then again, I am being hypocritical considering that I own Apple products...  In the end, the lifetime warranty saves the day for me.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • hogsfan
    Options
    The ceramics are space-age, so they have to be good!  Actually, I don't know.  The BGE ceramic properties are probably a guarded secret, but they are willing to put a lifetime warranty on them.  On the other hand, I'm not very confident about what is in the Chinese ceramics, considering the amount of lead they allow in children's toys and the recalls that follow.  Then again, I am being hypocritical considering that I own Apple products...  In the end, the lifetime warranty saves the day for me.
    I feel the same way.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

With the KJ's being made in China and considering all of the major issues with China made drywall, I'm not so sure I would want to eat something that came from a KJ.......not being negative.....just sayin

• hogsfan
    Options
    Do KJ's have dry wall in the ceramic or something?
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

hogsfan,

Not that I know of but with all the problems and law suits from the drywall made in China, I'm real careful about buying things made in China.

• stevesails
    Options

i applaud you but, nearly everything we buy is made in china.  ipads, phones, tv's. car parts, computer partts, clothes. shoes. you probably already do this, but check your labels, it is amzing how much stuff we buy is from there.  we have a tremedous trade deficit with them, I dont even like thinking about it.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• travisstrick
    Options
    I wish Gary would post his little popcorn eating guy. This is fun to watch.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.