Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feral Hog ideas 2 ready for cooking/tips- books-please !

hunterjoe
hunterjoe Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in Pork
Anybody out there know a good book or information about how to prep/cure all parts of these Feral/Wild hogs, for there meat.

We have been hunting them and do not want to waist anything, so I thought to find some resources for readying them after taking them apart. I see some recipe for BBq's and such, but maybe some people here can lead me towards a good book to buy.

I thought a complete book about the whole Wild hog would be better then a single part to cook here and there. I would be happy with any good tips as well, if people do not know of a complete book out there.

All tips and hints welcome !!!!!

Thanks for any help i can get.

Very best 2 you all ! and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    From what I've heard, you can cook the shoulder just like a normal pig and get great pulled pork. I'm interested as well because we need to take some down at the ranch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I've cooked up a couple of hams and shoulders before BGE. Surprisingly, the ones here in South Florida are not gamey tasting. But they are very lean so take that into consideration. The lean meat cooks up to a firmer texture than store bought. Cook to temperature as you normally would for pork and throw in a bottle of sauce for pulled pork sandwiches and most people probably wouldn't know. But beware, for some reason some would be hacked off if they found out after!