Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Spare Ribs - First Time - RESULTS!!

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited March 2012 in Pork
Howdy!!

First off, gotta give a "Thank you" shout out to all those who weighed in w/ their EGG-CELLENT advice regarding the spare ribs in this forum:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136964/st-louis-style-spareribs-first-time-help#Item_15

So here's what happened - opened up the pack, and realized there were 2 slabs - soooooo, I had an idea!!  Since the GF wasn't 100% sure whether she liked the bark from a dry rub vs foiling them (I showed her pics, but she said it was hard for her to tell from pics) - I decided to do 1 slab w/ just the dry rub, and 1 slab w/ foiling - that way she (we) could then determine which way we liked better!!!!  >:)

Upon the advice of you guys - I did them at about 250 dome temp, raised, indirect, about 6 hrs total until they passed the "bend" test...  

Sooooo, w/out further adieu, the results were..... (DRUMROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL)....

We liked BOTH ways!!!!  (so I guess I'll be doing 1 of each from now on)!!! hehhehee...

Anyway, the "dry rub" one was just a 50/50 mix of Dizzy Pig's "Dizzy Dust" and "Swamp Venom" - rubbed down nice & thick, and then placed on the Egg & left alone for 6 hrs!!!  

The other one, I guess I used what I'd call the 2-2-2 method - 2 hrs w/ nothing (actually, couldn't bear the thought of having NOTHING on the slab, so I did put a VERY light dusting of "Pineapple Head" and "Raging River" - then after 2 hrs, I wrapped in foil, and basted w/ a mixture of honey & brown sugar... then, 2 hrs after that, I removed from the foil. 

So, even though BOTH slabs were equally good - the slab I foiled got a tad bit too charred, but not quite "burnt" (it was close though).  I chalk that up to being unfoiled for the final 2 hrs after having all that sugar coated on it from the honey/brown sugar mixture.  So, for the next time, rather than do a 2-2-2, I think it'll be better to do a 2-3-1, or even a 2-3.5-0.5, or maybe even a 3-2.5-0.5 - the point being, I need to MINIMIZE the amount of time the slab is unfoiled at the end, to minimize the chance that it gets charred/burnt!!

Anyway, all in all, was a VERY good meal for this weekend - my GF even said that the ribs tasted better than any we had eaten at the Rib Fest we went to in Reno over the summer!!!!!!! 

So again - THANK YOU to all who helped make it a successful meal!!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    48% protein
    48% starchy carbs
    2% greens

MY kind of meal !  Looks good !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smoke? whatddija use for smoke?
    they look good.  can't go wrong with ribs.  spares are what we eat, we cook loin backs for guests. spares are where it's at
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    48% protein
    48% starchy carbs
    2% greens

VI - hahahaha... yeah, I guess the "greens-to-crap_food" ratio is a bit skewed... oh well - it was good!! heh
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    smoke? whatddija use for smoke?
    they look good.  can't go wrong with ribs.  spares are what we eat, we cook loin backs for guests. spares are where it's at
    Stike - well, I did add in the rest of the bag of apple chips I had (probably 2 handfuls, I'd say) - but the thing is, personally I can't tell much difference (if any) between the normal lump smokiness, vs any other "flavored" wood smokiness - to me, it's all smokiness, taste-wise. Now, from a "fan the smoke w/ your hand & smell it" standpoint - yeah, it definitely smelled a bit sweeter than normal...
  • JayHawkEye
    Options
    48% protein
    48% starchy carbs

2% greens

I'd say it looks at least 98% good...
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Great 1st St.Louis ribs cook! As you've tasted, there is a reason they are classic. Congrats on trying 2 methods at once.

An advantage of home Egg cooking is that the slabs can be cooked so much more carefully than someone trying to serve 300.  Makes home cooking a really sweet spot.

Many happy afternoons of cooking to you.