Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Super Bowl Pork Butt

Options
Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited February 2012 in Pork
Started fire at 2:00 am thinking I would need 10 to 15 hours for 8 lb butt.  Fire quickly reached 300 and put butt on.  Temp stabalized on dome at around 325 and grate temp at 300.  Stayed this way most of the night.  Woke up at 8 am and but was at 180.  just took butt off at 10:30 am with internal temp at 197.  Butt looks delicious but noticed the bone did not pull out easily.  Have double wrapped and covered with towell in ice chest.  Think I am OK?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    At 300-325, I would plan on closer to an hour per lb than 1.5-2 like your estimate. I don't believe that cooking a butt at 300 really affects the finished product compared to lower temps just the timing. And you're definitely ok for pulling the pork at that temp, the bone is just being stubborn..
  • The Amateur
    Options
    Hey Scott, I am new at my egg. Did my first butt last night also. Filled with new wood briquettes and cooked slow for about 2 hours per pound around 250 degrees. Was very tender. If you have any tricks to help me with other ways to cook the butt I am a first timer I need all the help I can get. Hope yours does well.

The amateur
  • Scott805
    Options
    Thanks for the help.  Will pull in a couple of hours and let everyone know how it turned out.  Have been egging for about two months now and it is awesome the info you can get on this site!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Scott805
    Options
    Just pulled the pork.  Perfect!

Dallas, TX

• hogaholic
    Options
    Amateur,

I hope you meant lump charcoal rather than briquettes.  Briquettes stink and add nasty flavors to your food because they contain a lot of non-wood material.  They also make a lot of ash and do not burn well in the egg.

I had the unfortunate experience of cooking on a friend's egg using briquettes a few weeks ago because that was all he had and we were at a hunting camp miles from town.  Coundn't get the temp higher than 300 running wide open.
    Hey Scott, I am new at my egg. Did my first butt last night also. Filled with new wood briquettes and cooked slow for about 2 hours per pound around 250 degrees. Was very tender. If you have any tricks to help me with other ways to cook the butt I am a first timer I need all the help I can get. Hope yours does well.

The amateur

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)