Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey baked spiral cut ham

Options
Gwam
Gwam Posts: 0
edited January 2012 in Pork
Cheap kroger brand spiral cut ham on bge @250 for 2 to 3 hrs with indirect heat. The key is to cook it in a pan with juice (pineapple and apple with some vinegar is good). Most recipes dry it out but the juice of about 1/2 inch doesnt ruin the first 2 slices. The std glaze with the meat is fine for the last 30'min but the best result is closing down the egg completely and glazing it with steam.
If u r a lukin then u aint a cookin

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I cook spiral cut hams at 325-350 and have never had problem with them drying out. The first thing I do is throw away the packets included with the ham, then give the ham a good rinse if it is coated with a glaze goop.
    I use OJ (sometimes I add to the OJ, cinnamon-cranberries,Makers Mark mixture) in the roasting pan.  The ham stands proud of the liquid, which is used to baste the ham during cook.  I do one other thing I use an awl and run it down the sides of the bone opening small spaces by the bone.  When I baste I put the liquid at the top of the bone and let it drip in and over the ham.   
    If you like (I don't) a brown sugar coating may be added after the last baste. 
    The ham is fully cooked so I pull at 134ish temp. 

OJ in drip pan, JD chips used during the cook.  Cooked indirect a cooling rack placed between roasting pan and placesetter 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx