Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second egg

rodent
rodent Posts: 106
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have an xl that I keep about 40 feet from house. Looking to get a second egg that I can put right outside the patio door. I live in Ontario so weather is cold, wet, snowy, icy in winter. Looking for suggestions between small and mini. Only two of us. As long as I can cook couple of slabs of baby backs, sear steaks, etc. thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012
    I just sold my 5 year old Small as I never used it anymore. It was my first Egg. Then got a Large and then a Mini.
    Like you just the two of us. I use the Mini 80% of the time. Sold the Small and bought another Large. Will still use the Mini 80%+ of the time. If you get the Mini be sure and get a Mini Woo and the two set pizza stones from Amazon. It will do a spatchcocked whole chicken or 6 legs at a time. 2 good size chops. Couple of nice strips.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I bought a large, and loved it so much I bought a medium a few months later.  I thought I'd cook some meat at one temperature, and veggies at another.  Actually, I haven't used my medium for more than 2 or 3 cooks.

Like Mickey, I'd probably use a mini a lot more since there's only me and my wife.  Maybe I'll win one in Salado (Mickey, wink..wink)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Thx, can you do an overnight cook on the mini.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Yes, but not many do.I have not. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You can't cook a couple slabs on the mini. I have done a Half slab and even that is stretching it. You only have 8" of indirect cooking area. If you really want to be able to cook indirect go with the small. I love my mini and it's great for searing steaks and cooking a couple burgers and I have even done pizza on it but it sounds to me like you need something more than the mini. I would suggest going and checking them out in person.