Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BB Ribs

bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited January 2012 in Pork
Despite the fire going out two hours into the process and the temp up and down these were the best ribs ever!  I still do not know why the lump went out unless it was not compressed enough.  It was a wild ride!

Phil

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    It's funny how that works out sometimes.  One competition where we use a very large stick burner, the whole team fell asleep in the middle of the cook and the fire went out.  I was the first person to catch it and got the fire back going, but I have no idea how long it was out, or what the temp of the meat was when it went out or anything.  It could have been out for a few minutes or an hour.  We placed higher in that competition than any other yet.

To this day I wish I could figure out the exact temperature curve to be able to re create it.  Oh well

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Despite the fire going out two hours into the process and the temp up and down these were the best ribs ever!  I still do not know why the lump went out unless it was not compressed enough.  It was a wild ride!

Phil
    Do you think you had enough lump to start?  I would say that it is very unusual to have a fire go out after two hours unless you had the dampers completely closed...even then the temperature of the egg would stay hot for another couple of hours.  What kind of lump did you use?
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Hello, 

Greenhawk,  I live in Athens.

There was plenty of lump.  BGE lump.  When I took everything off to check the fire I noticed a very small fire at the bottom.  The fire seemed isolated from the other lump. 

It just hit me!  I did NOT have any large lump at the bottom.  They were sitting on top!

Thanks for helping me out!

Phil
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I am from Athens.  I lived there my whole life except for my college years, and the last 5.  I moved here for work.  Nice to see somebody close by on here.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL