Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grates

uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got two cast iron grates for my xl. How do I season them before I cook on them? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• I used one of my good lodge cast iron skilets to sear a couple of steaks at 800 degrees and de-seasoned it lol. (what tweeve said). Go cook, while I season my skillet.
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    I appreciate your post.  I was thinking of using my Lodge skillet for doing the same thing.  Thanks!

Phil
  • Ok I will cook. Do I just brush them off to clean them? I don't ever use soap do I?
  • Ok I will cook. Do I just brush them off to clean them? I don't ever use soap do I?
    No need to use soap...I put my grate on as soon as I start the coals burning. Then I brush to get anything left on the grate from the last cook off. The grate has two surfaces. One is flat makes flippin' burgers easy. The other side is great for leaving those great looking sear marks on ur steaks.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Hot fire will "clean" the CI grate.  I have one and just brush it off just before starting my cook

Another piece of advice that I can offer from personal experience - don't drop that sucker or it will break.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)