Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

marital discontent

Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing a very small pork butt on the egg at 225 to under 250 degrees. I intend to pull it at 195 degrees. Wife insists it should come off at 160 (now at 162). She’s an excellent cook but I operate the outside cooking. So I’m looking at 33 degrees of conflict. My position is I’m doing it my way and she can get as bossy and mad as she wants. Everything I’ve read on this forum says 195 to 205 degrees and I’m sticking with it. I sure hope you guys are right!
My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• Trust me.  If you want to pull it, that's what you need to do, unless someone knows otherwise for very small butts.  If you cook it to 160, then you will have to slice it like a roast. If you want to pull it for barbecue, then you have to go to 195 to 205.  Tell your wife we all love her and respect her, but this advice comes from some guy named The Naked Whiz.  See if that makes your job any easier..... :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    160 on a butt will end up tough and fatty.  keep doing what you're doing if you want pulled pork.
  • Hold your ground brother!  It will not pull at 160. 
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Tell her shes is correct, you will not pull it at 195, you will wait to 200.  ha ha ha ha
  • It went on at 11:20.  It's now 16:37 and 164 degrees.  I'm gonna hang and I don't care how long it takes.  The only way she gets half my (pork) butt below 195 is to divorce me.  This tickles me.  Miss "culinary expert" was so mad she could spit when I imposed the (seldom used) "no".
  • How long have you been married, boy?  Haven't you learned anything?

Is a properly cooked pork butt worth, well.... you know !

Cook it her way, and next time tell her that her advice was so valuable, you decided to do it a little bit longer.  Remember, the only proper response to a disagreement is " Yes, ma'am".

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Stay strong brother. At 195, you'll be eating pulled pork, and she'll be eating crow.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I've been married long and often.  This one is a keeper with 25 years in.  I don't do it often but this is a line in the sand.  She can run us broke spoiling the grandkids but the fire is MINE!
  • I gotta say I've enjoyed this thread! Let us know how it tuns out... The butt that is.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

LMAO -  First I read "this advice comes from some guy named The Naked Whiz"  and then I read the King Solomon like advice from Tweev_tip "Cut the bad boy in Half NOW". 

Baysidebob please do us ALL a big favor and get your wife to write the response to the forum telling everyone YOU were right.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    She's thinking it is 'done' at 160. You are not cooking it until it is merely 'done', but rather until it falls apart. It's not a ham, which you reheat to 140. It's not a roast, which is safe and better at 140 but commonly overcooked to 160. It is pulled pork, which will not convert the collagen and render the fat properly until it goes thru a long slog from 160 to 195/200

See? She thinks you are cooking one thing. But you are cooking another. The final temp of 195/200 has nothing to do with food safety or doneness. Your butt at 160 will be a safe to eat but overdone roast. But it will also be a safe to eat but UNDERDONE pulled pork.

But at 195 or more it will pull and fall apart

You are both right in a sense. But you are more right
    Hahahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • This little piece of pork cost five dollars.  It's been on for well over 7 hours.  It has stalled in the 170ish range. Thanks to the forum I expected this.  I'm way to far invested now to quit.  The wife has quieted down to a resentful submission to my insistance on hitting 195 plus and is waiting to pounce on my failure.  We'll see.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Crank up the heat and get that thing done!  I can't wait to hear what she has to say!
    If your still cooking that thing at 225 dome (as your original post suggests), it's gonna take forever...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    What does she think you are cooking ?
    It's not a roast
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Wrap it in foil and raise temp to 275-300.
  • I took a peek and the puff of fresh air ran it up to 250.  I refuse to rush this humble little piece of pork. This has gone beyond a test of wills.  The wife faded and is watching "Judge Judy".  Now it's just me and the meat.  Defeat the meat!
  • stike
    edited January 2012
    christ man, answer the question.  what the heck was her point in the first place, does she (or you) know what you want in the end?

if you're both wanting to cook a three minute egg, and you want to go 5 minutes. then you are wrong.  if she's telling you the three minute egg will be done at 2 minutes, then she's wrong.

collectively, we've cooked thousands of thee damn things.  it's not rocket science. if you want pulled pork, then she's wrong.  if you want overcooked roast, then she is right (tell her she's wrong cooking ANY pork to 160 anyway )
    hahaha

• I took a peek and the puff of fresh air ran it up to 250.  I refuse to rush this humble little piece of pork. This has gone beyond a test of wills.  The wife faded and is watching "Judge Judy".  Now it's just me and the meat.  Defeat the meat!
    Keep the faith. You're doing the right thing.
  • I pulled a Double whammy, Cooked the roast to 180 the 1st day For a perfect roast,Day 2 pulled the left overs apart and reheated and steamed to absolute perfect Porksliders- Best of both worlds.

LET'S EAT
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76

You Caved!!!  I read this thread to the end with baited breath.  I was hoping at least one of us would stand our ground!  LOL. 

Next time 200, no peaking, no wavering, no debate! 

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Is that thing still on the grill?? Fall asleep?? How bout an update...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    OP- any updates on how it turned out?
  • stike
    i don't think the guy ever read anyone's replies.  he was just posting to get his jollies.
    :-S
  • I may have caved a little, But I still have my BGE!!!!!!

LET'S EAT
  • stike
    i think mightyquinn was asking about the original poster, baysidebob.  unless you are rocking twin handles on the forum
  • Only tfouch knows and no on the twin
    LET'S EAT
  • Stayed up way past my bedtime.  It came off after midnight and was perfect.  Wife tasted some this morning and liked it.  I had figured because it was small it wouldn't take 12 hours.  I'll know better next time.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    i think mightyquinn was asking about the original poster, baysidebob.  unless you are rocking twin handles on the forum

Yes, OP=original poster.

Thanks for the update baysidebob....glad it turned out good!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I had figured because it was small it wouldn't take 12 hours.  I'll know better next time.
    There's no reason a "very small" pork butt should take 12 hours.  I cook 'em at 250 grid level and 8-9 lb'ers take less than that. Higher heat won't hurt the quality and will save you much time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin