Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET 73 Wireless Remote

Buckdodger
Buckdodger Posts: 957
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been Eggin' for a long while and have had great luck with most cooks. Never used any "electronic" devices to monitor any type of cook. HOWEVER, being a Senior citizen and having trbl staying awake after 9PM I was looking for help with over nite cooks, like Butts etc. My Butts have always turned out great but I felt the need to check on temps allll night long. Saw the ad for the Maverick....is it worth the investment ?????

Thanks for any feedback.

Bob
Alex City Al.....And War Eagle 

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Yes, it's a great device!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    The ET-73 is the "older" model.  The ET-732 is the upgrade model.
    I've use the ET-73 for low & slows for over 9 years now and never has an issue with it.
    If it ever dies, I'll purchase the ET-732.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    ... being a Senior citizen...

I'm an old guy, too, with a long white beard, and I am using a Maverick right now at my desk, telling me my brisket in the Egg outside is 172 and my dome is 225.  WAY cool!  I don't have to open the Egg, and I can "watch" the temps all day with no problem.  I love it!  Nerd that I am, I'm even recording the temps to see how long the plateau lasts!  

However...  I originally bought it for the same reason you're thinking about buying it: for overnight cooks.  I'm now quite concerned about that because on the original forum I saw a few stories about how somehow a stray ember fell out of an Egg and started the deck burning, and there was a very destructive house fire.  It was sort of a "duh" moment, for me, that maybe it's just not super responsible having a fire burning while the guy who lit that fire went to bed and is sound asleep!  I am especially concerned about having a fire burning in my Egg that's on a wooden deck attached to my house.  We're thinking of remodeling the kitchen and the deck, and I think I'm going to put my Eggs on a concrete base, in "tables" made out of firebrick or stone or something, and maybe then I'll feel safer leaving a fire going all night.

Realistically, the risk of starting a fire seems very, very low!  But it's not a very low risk of catching a cold or something, but a very low risk of a real catastrophe.  FYI.

Theo
  • I also have the "older" ET-73 model, and am quite satisfied w/ it.  However, I've seen reports of a few folks who have had issues w/ it, so YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). 

As far as the embers jumping out - that's what they make the screen in the bottom vent for - you can leave the bottom vent closed, and just open the screen, to still get airflow.  Also, it is ALWAYS a good idea to have your Egg on something which is not flammable (ie, paver stone, firebricks, etc).  They also make grill pads which you can place in front of your Egg to help keep any stray embers away: 

http://www.amazon.com/DiversiTech-GP-42-C-Original-Grill-Pad/dp/B0001MQHZY

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159

I was using an Oregon Scientific wireless I had recieved as a gift and it worked well except the remote sensor batteries only lasted about 6-7 hours before requiring replacement.  I noe have a Maverick ET-732 and I have done two overnight cooks on the same set of batteries.  Excellent device for the $$.

@Theophan - I too had the same aha moment last Friday night after starting an all night cook @ 10:00 PM on my Trex deck attached to the house.  I ended up waking up every two hours thinking about it and loking out the window.  My Egg has a metal screen over the lower vent but it still bugged me all night.  They sell 2' X 3' metal pans at the auto parts store to put under you car when changing oil that have a 1/2" lip on them (see below).  I'm thinking of getting one of these to place under grill just in case....

http://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11430-Galvanized-Drip-Tray/dp/B000F5XQMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325698302&sr=8-1 

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • Thanks guy's for the feedback...sounds like the 732 is the answer. Take care and War Eagle for the football fanatics out there.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I assumed you meant the 732, that's the one I have. No problems since I got it last summer.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I find that grillgrates has the best price for the maverick ET732.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Get the 732. I have the older 73 and it won't keep a signal when I'm sitting 10 feet away inside with a sliding glass door.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks to all the BGE guy's for the input. !!! 

Opelika, Alabama
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2012
    Get the 732. I have the older 73 and it won't keep a signal when I'm sitting 10 feet away inside with a sliding glass door.
    Sounds like you got one of the later versions with the crappy signals. Not sure how they screwed them up from their earlier versions. I remember years ago when people first started complaining about them.  That sucks. I'm able take my ET-73 over to next door neighbors house, drink beer at the kitchen table, and monitor temps no problem.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Thanks guy's for the feedback...sounds like the 732 is the answer. Take care and War Eagle for the football fanatics out there.

Bob
    Alex City Al
    War Eagle....are you on Lake Martin?
  • Yes we are...Windover sub-division, north of Kowaliga Bridge.

Opelika, Alabama