Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Common Question on Dampers

Options
Flamethrower
Flamethrower Posts: 493
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my XL on New Years Eve.Outside temp.60 degrees. 3 racks of BabyBacks cooked for 4 hrs. and 3 St.Louis.Cooked for 5 hrs.Had the temp set at 250 dergrees within the 1st 1/2 hr. and never looked back.But as you can see the slider is almost closed.Never did use the daisy wheel opening. My family and I think these were my best yet,Only to perfect now.
LET'S EAT

Comments

• MeatEater
    Options
    That looks about the same position as when I am doing ribs at that temp.  I have never had a problem with the fire going out.  
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I havent looked under the platesetter to see how much lump was used yet
    LET'S EAT
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited January 2012
    Options
    you can use the bottom vent to control temps, the top, or both.

in any case, there's really one vent that is 'in charge'.  if your bottom is set to control temps, you can take the daisy totally off.  likewise, if the top is dialed in, the bottom won't have any real effect on temps (unless you shut it more closed than the top is, of course).

i use the bottom to dial in roughly, and then fine tune with the top.

and that's only because the top is easier for me to see.

i also will sometimes just set this puppy at two-and-a-half-holes-open.  each perf accounts for about 100 degrees.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited January 2012
    Options
    My xl runs the same at 250
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I assume that dial on the bottom vent cover is a home-made item?
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Recommend turning your temp gage until the desired temp reading is at 12:00, makes it easier to know where you're from a glance.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Being a F.F., When you start learning pressure,temp and the gauges while pumping, I was taught to use a grease pencil to mark your #'s. I havent done it on the egg,But it is a gauge, It is easily read and  wipes off easily with a rag.
    LET'S EAT