Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs on Big Green Egg

GrannyG
GrannyG Posts: 0
edited January 2012 in Pork
I'm very new to the Big Green Egg.  I bought my husband the large egg several years ago and I have to say that in our 37 years of marriage, it was by far the best gift he ever received.  He had mastered Boston butts and Prime Rib.  He died unexpectedly in October, 2009 and the egg sat unused for almost two years.  For Thanksgiving this past year, my son and I successfully smoked two turkeys.  We're wanting to try some country style ribs.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GrannyG,  I have done country ribs low temp (250) indirect on the grill with drip pan filled with onions, garlic, bell peppers, Hatch chili, bay leaf, thyme and beer (that was also the marinade).  The cook time is a about 4+ hours.
    I have also braised country ribs directly on the egg at 325-350 until fork tender and then seared them right before serving.  When I braise foods on the egg I set up my grill to be slightly above the felt line that way I am cooking up in the dome. 

It is easy to braise on the egg, just remember not to over shoot your temp when firing up the lump.  When the coals get to 400 I close the bottom vents to about 1/4 of inch, put the daisy wheel on vents opened.  When the smoke run clears then I put on my pot of food and adjust the daisy wheel vents to slightly open. The temp will drop when you add the food...Don't adjust the vents, just walk away, after 10-15 minutes adjust the daisy wheel vents to maintain desired temp.  Your can either cook with a lid on or off, but I prefer no lid because I want that smoked flavor.

Have fun experimenting with the egg.  Egg cooking is really fun.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Country style ribs can be a little difficult. They are not really ribs, but slabs of pork shoulder. That is the big piece of meat that is used to make pulled pork. Because they are small pieces, they can be overcooked before the connective tissue melts, and the fat renders out.

They can be cooked quickly if placed at the felt line, and cooked with the dome at 350. If cooking direct, expect them to go a lot faster, and need more turning. The larger portions of meat will come out pretty tender and succulent, but there will be lots of tough and chewy stuff to toss.

As Austin Egghead mentioned, braising is a good way to do them.  Cook them indirect till they are somewhat brown, and hour to an hour and a half. Wrap them in heavy duty foil, and cook another hour. Open, and test for tenderness. They should be sitting in steaming broth of their own making. If they are starting to fall apart, pour off the juices, and place leave them in the open foil pouch. They will begin to brown up again in the open air.

Take the juices, mix with some BBQ sauce, and cook down.

At the end, remove the meat from the pouch, and brush with the sauce. Give them 10 -15 minutes till the sauce becomes thick, but not burnt.

Good luck.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited January 2012
    I have also braised country ribs directly on the egg at 325-350
    until fork tender and then seared them right before serving.  When I
    braise foods on the egg I set up my grill to be slightly above the felt
    line that way I am cooking up in the dome. 

It
    is easy to braise on the egg, just remember not to over shoot your temp
    when firing up the lump.  When the coals get to 400 I close the bottom
    vents to about 1/4 of inch, put the daisy wheel on vents opened.  When
    the smoke run clears then I put on my pot of food and adjust the daisy
    wheel vents to slightly open. The temp will drop when you add the
    food...Don't adjust the vents, just walk away, after 10-15 minutes
    adjust the daisy wheel vents to maintain desired temp.  Your can either
    cook with a lid on or off, but I prefer no lid because I want that
    smoked flavor.

How long do they typically take when braising?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99 wrote: How "How long do they typically take when braising?"  
    At least 4+ hours or longer.  The longer they cook the better they get.
    When they are fork tender they are ready to sear.  If you are going to eat right away, plate and pour braising liquid over them.  If they are next day meal after sear put rib back in braising liquid, cool and refrigerate.  Reheat and serve
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx